[KDE/Mac] kde4 on Tiger using macports

Jonas Bähr jonas.baehr at web.de
Thu Jan 8 12:00:06 CET 2009

Am 08.01.2009 um 02:45 schrieb Orville Bennett:
>>> I'm proud to annouce that I am 10 steps ahead of you! ;-)
>>
>> Well, in fact I'd prefer to cooperate rather then compete with you...
>
> Likewise, I was just poking a bit of fun. Note the sly usage of the
> winky face.

No, problem, I didn't take it seriously... But since you uploaded dbus-
legacy four days ago it would have been nice to inform this list about
the progress.

>>> see dbus-legacy port. it conflicts with normal dbus so deactivate
>>> that
>>> first.
>>
>> The problem with this approach is that you can either install kde4,
>> *or* any other app needing dbus. (appart from the fact that
>
> No, not really. What set's this port apart from the normal dbus port
> is that x11 support isn't built in. Well, that and Benjamin's launchd
> patch. And the older version of dbus... well you get the idea.
>
> If X11 support _is_ built then dbus will do it's normal x11-y stuff
> just fine. I can include the no_x11 variant in the port (and make it
> the default as, if we're building kde on os x we don't want X pulled
> in inadvertently). I just don't see many people who use KDE also
> wanting X11 stuff.

one never know. people using kde-stuff on a mac, may also use gnome
stuff there too.

> I'll wait for the trac tickets to prove me wrong though :-)
>>
>> debus-1.2.4, suffers from the security issue CVE-2008-4311. I don't
>> consider it sensitive for most setups though).
>
> Nor I, but I rarely pay attention to such things. :-)

as the maintainer of this port, you should. Or at lest inform your
users.

> There is an updated 1.2.4 release which probably addresses this but,
> honestly I just didn't want to deal with this. I'll check on it this
> weekend hopefully.
>

>>> I do need to port the kde portfiles over to it, but i'm waiting till
>>> the weekend to do all that (just moved, yada, yada).
>>> BUT if someone wants to volunteer...
>>
>> Due to the conflict with the default dbus package I'll stick with my
>> shell-script (for now). I'll try to put the patch in shape for the
>> official dbus HEAD. If done right we can have a launchd enabled dbus
>> per default in macports.
> Which would be great.

The latest patch (refactored by Colin Walters) applys nearly (only one
context change) and compiles nearly (just one forgotten ';'). It seem
to work here. So, it's quite easy to provide the launchd variant in
the official dbus port.

It rests to patch the tools (dbus-launch, maybe others too) to use
launchd instead of x11 for autolaunching. This would make dbus either
x11 or launchd, but it would adress any open autolaunch issues on a
mac. AFAIK it uses x11 only to store the session bus address, so there
is no problem in moving over to launchd compleately.

I attached the patch against HEAD, I'll look at the tools later. Maybe
you want to use it to drop dbus-legacy in favour of a +launchd dbus...
You have to load the dbus-session.plist into launchd to make it work.
I think it's the same with benjamins patch.