[KDE/Mac] kde4 on Tiger using macports

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 02:45:00 CET 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 6:07 PM, Jonas Bähr wrote:

>>> SNIP
>> I'm proud to annouce that I am 10 steps ahead of you! ;-)
>
> Well, in fact I'd prefer to cooperate rather then compete with you...

Likewise, I was just poking a bit of fun. Note the sly usage of the
winky face.

>> see dbus-legacy port. it conflicts with normal dbus so deactivate
>> that
>> first.
>
> The problem with this approach is that you can either install kde4,
> *or* any other app needing dbus. (appart from the fact that

No, not really. What set's this port apart from the normal dbus port
is that x11 support isn't built in. Well, that and Benjamin's launchd
patch. And the older version of dbus... well you get the idea.

If X11 support _is_ built then dbus will do it's normal x11-y stuff
just fine. I can include the no_x11 variant in the port (and make it
the default as, if we're building kde on os x we don't want X pulled
in inadvertently). I just don't see many people who use KDE also
wanting X11 stuff.

I'll wait for the trac tickets to prove me wrong though :-)

> debus-1.2.4, suffers from the security issue CVE-2008-4311. I don't
> consider it sensitive for most setups though).

Nor I, but I rarely pay attention to such things. :-)
There is an updated 1.2.4 release which probably addresses this but,
honestly I just didn't want to deal with this. I'll check on it this
weekend hopefully.

>> I do need to port the kde portfiles over to it, but i'm waiting till
>> the weekend to do all that (just moved, yada, yada).
>> BUT if someone wants to volunteer...
>
> Due to the conflict with the default dbus package I'll stick with my
> shell-script (for now). I'll try to put the patch in shape for the
> official dbus HEAD. If done right we can have a launchd enabled dbus
> per default in macports.
Which would be great.

> In the mean time dbus-legacy as dependency for kdelibs could be a
> workable solution. It also works around the x11 issue from https://trac.macports.org/ticket/16755
> #comment:36
> Only the installation procedure becomes a bit tricky.... installing
> qt4-mac (which pulls dbus), then deactivate dbus, then install kdelibs
> (which pulls dbus-legacy)
>
> perhaps you could rename it to dbus-launchd, to make the purpose a bit
> clearer...
I could, and initially that was exactly the name I was going to use.
On further thought I convinced myself that this sounded instead like
some extension that allows dbus to use launchd.
It's not, it's actually dbus, patched to use launchd.

> KDE does not depend on a legacy version of dbus but to a
> version which can deal with launchd (which is unfortunately not the
> latest, for now)

Right, but the version provided _is_ a legacy version. If dbus proper
gains the ability to use launchd then that port will simply replace
the dbus-legacy as the dependency.

> bye,
> Jonas

Night.