[KDE/Mac] Helpful things you I found out while packaging

Big O illogical1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 02:00:53 CEST 2008

1. PackageMaker can apparently use an url as a location of a package
and download it when an install is requested.
This is pretty neat as it would make an "everything KDE" package
initially smaller in size and allow for extra customization. I haven't
actually tested this though :-)
2. Autolaunching dbus.
This is pretty easy to do once you realize PackageMaker's limitations.
What I did was write a postinstall script that stopped any previous
instance which was running as root/messagebus (in the dbus install).
Then I also had an empty package which installed nothing (thus not
requiring admin privileges) stop any user instances, and then start a
new user instance of the dbus-daemon.
3. Set up KDE environment so that first run is quicker.
The way I attempted to do this, by launching kbuildsycoca4 before the
user starts any kde programs, didn't provide any appreciably increase
in app startup time. I think a "real" background kde program (maybe
kded4) needs to be started beforehand.

--
All your gmail are belong to us.