[KDE/Mac] kde4.1 MacPorts available

Brian Jackson iggy at theiggy.com
Mon Aug 4 05:02:54 CEST 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Vittorio Giovara wrote:

> ok here is the feedback i promised to provide
> first of all i must say that i had some difficulties in building the
> qt4-mac as they interruped abruptly when installing; only after a
> couple of macports reinstall i managed to make it work
> moreover standard qt4-mac is not enough! they MUST be build with
> +ssl support: maybe we should file a ticket asking to set that
> variant by default

That was my plan and this requirement is in the README file in the
tarball.

> compiling and installing
>
> - when installing kdelibs i found that two dependencies where
> missing: automoc and shared-mime-info, but they can be easily add in
> the portfile (right?)

Already fixed

> - when installing automoc alone i found that the cmake dependency
> was not set

Fixed just now

> - automoc places some files in /usr/local; it's not very nice,
> expecially if you reinstall it as it will exit with an error

Already Fixed

> - the apps are built without a single icon! that's a little ugly...
> even after installing kdeartwork (which fixed the internal icons
> though)

Yes, I have not figured out why that is yet. I have a feeling that
this is not caused by the Portfiles, but is a generic platform
problem. I think it will take someone who is more of a developer (I'm
not really, I'm just packaging some stuff).

> - kdebase-runtime does NOT compile properly with the phonon support
> of qt4; to make it work you have to install the standalone phonon

It actually works for me. Which is why I didn't make it a dependency
(that and it stomps on qt4-mac, so it requires manual intervention).

> about the applications
>
> - konqueror doesn't file the relative html library so no browsing is
> supported

I can browse here. What version of osx are you running? This might be
fixed by the below or by running kbuildsycoca manually.

> - like every other application there is a strange error about dbus
>
>       Could not start process Cannot talk to klauncher: Not
> connected to D-BUS server.

Get the latest copy of my tarball and remove dbus and reinstall it.

>   that prevents any application to work properly: any application
> needing to open a file on the filesystem will simply display an
> empty box list
> - konsole exits immediately after opening it

With the dbus from my newer tarball and running kbuildsycoca, it
starts, but doesn't open any shell. Like I said, I'm not a dev, so I
don't know why it's failing.