[kde-linux] Where is the KDE Trash Can? [SOLVED]

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Jun 10 16:24:08 UTC 2016

On Friday, 2016-06-10, 01:03:41, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:

> > Not necessarily for something that is mounted by a different
> > file system.
>
> That's right.  When the photo collection resides on a file system
> mounted at /photos, then the trash directory's name is
>
> b=`sed -n "s,^${USER}:x:\([0-9]*\):.*,/photos.Trash-\1.files,p"
> /etc/passwd`
>
> Obviously, the developers give their best for hiding the trash in
> such a way that it can't be retrieved any more.

While it might look complicated from our perspective as users, the discussions
following up to the specification this is based on shows, that the situation is
not as easy as one would think without looking at all the cases that need to
be supported.

And as Ralf wrote, since there are tools that actually implement the
specification, we usally don't need to find these folders ourselves.
But since there is a specification and not just some random set of locations we
can if we do.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring