[kde-linux] SDDM alternatives

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Fri Feb 12 17:59:15 UTC 2016

Duncan wrote:

> FWIW, here I just login at the text CLI, and run startx (which is
> setup with a kde session that then runs startkde, etc).
>
> Totally practical for network authentication, indeed, ssh CLI login
> if desired, and no X overhead when nobody's logged in or when the
> login is CLI and doesn't need X.  And it's much harder to break a CLI
> login than a *DM of any sort.  =:^)

I use exactly that solution for myself. But in this case, I'm setting up
a large number of boxes for lab use and the users would not know how to
do that. I have to do something they will find familiar.

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Use a different sddm theme that doesn't include a userlist?
>
> fedora ships a theme named 02-fedora for this purpose, ie, edit
> /etc/sddm.conf to include: [Theme] Current=02-fedora
>
> (or, it should fallback to using that one if you remove the
> sddm-breeze rpm package)

I'll look into those themes. Unfortunately, our corporate proxy is
having trouble reaching kde.org and Google didn't find any other
references to changing the theme. That's why I had to ask here.

But I'd really prefer a completely different display manager. (I find
the SDDM developer's attitude about root login to be insulting.) That's
why my subject line is "SDDM alternatives".
--
Dave Close