[kde-linux] SDDM alternatives

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Feb 12 04:36:01 UTC 2016

CLOSE Dave posted on Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:04:03 -0800 as excerpted:

> F23 with KDE uses the SDDM display manager by default. This is totally
> impractical in an environment, like ours, where users are authenticated
> through the network. There are literally hundreds of possible users.
> Scrolling through that many pseudo-pictures to find yourself is stupid!
> It's also something of a security exposure as everyone learns all the
> possible users of the system. There has to be a way to allow a user to
> explicitly enter his name without having to select it from any kind of
> list. Ideas?

FWIW, here I just login at the text CLI, and run startx (which is setup
with a kde session that then runs startkde, etc).

Totally practical for network authentication, indeed, ssh CLI login if
desired, and no X overhead when nobody's logged in or when the login is
CLI and doesn't need X.  And it's much harder to break a CLI login than a
*DM of any sort.  =:^)