[kde-linux] KDEwallet?

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 13:34:15 UTC 2016

David Baron wrote:
>> * * * * *
>> The short version is, kwallet is only used if you're using a kde-based
>> app, kmail, konqueror, etc, that uses it to store login credentials for
>> various generally online accounts other than your system-level user
>> account, which is still managed using normal *ix style user
>> authentication mechanisms, not kwallet.  If you're not using any of
>> those, or if for instance you use konqueror but don't have any site
>> logins stored on it, then kwallet is pretty well useless, since that's
>> what it does, store credentials for such mostly online accounts.  If you
>> start using a kde-based app that in turn uses kwallet to store such
>> account credentials, you should start using kwallet automatically.
> In kde3 and kde4, I did not NEED kwallet. The passwords were stored in kmail
> itself. Newer kmail version ask for it every time.
>
> Now I do not mind entering them once on start, but everytime I get an network
> connection expiry (as of yet found no fix to that!!) so reconnects, I have to
> enter them once again. It can go quite a while without or I can have this
> every few minutes which makes this a giant  pain in the ...
>
> I tried redoing the mail accounts, got the "kwallet not active" dialog,
> regardless of the status shown on the manager, et al.

I use KDE but I use a different way to store passwords.  I use this:

https://lastpass.com/

The reason I use it, even if my puter crashes and I lose everything, my
passwords are still safe because they are encrypted and stored
elsewhere.  That little add-on works on several web browsers.  It can
also generate some random passwords that would be very hard to crack
too.  Also, you don't have to worry about upgrading KDE and losing your
passwords.  I've read that people have had that sort of thing happen.
Another benefit, if I am somewhere else and using someone else's
computer, I can login into lastpass and get my passwords just like I am
sitting at my own puter.  I've done that a few times and it comes in
handy.

If you just want to use Kwallet, that's fine too.  I'm just providing
info about a different way that you may like better.  If you are not
interested in this method, just ignore this message.

Dale

:-)  :-)