[kde-linux] kde-linux Digest, Vol 152, Issue 2

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Feb 9 12:21:44 UTC 2016

> * * * * *
> The short version is, kwallet is only used if you're using a kde-based
> app, kmail, konqueror, etc, that uses it to store login credentials for
> various generally online accounts other than your system-level user
> account, which is still managed using normal *ix style user
> authentication mechanisms, not kwallet.  If you're not using any of
> those, or if for instance you use konqueror but don't have any site
> logins stored on it, then kwallet is pretty well useless, since that's
> what it does, store credentials for such mostly online accounts.  If you
> start using a kde-based app that in turn uses kwallet to store such
> account credentials, you should start using kwallet automatically.

In kde3 and kde4, I did not NEED kwallet. The passwords were stored in kmail
itself. Newer kmail version ask for it every time.

Now I do not mind entering them once on start, but everytime I get an network
connection expiry (as of yet found no fix to that!!) so reconnects, I have to
enter them once again. It can go quite a while without or I can have this
every few minutes which makes this a giant  pain in the ...

I tried redoing the mail accounts, got the "kwallet not active" dialog,
regardless of the status shown on the manager, et al.