[kde-linux] how to get kde applications version with commandline

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Apr 17 11:29:19 UTC 2016

On Saturday, 2016-04-16, 11:43:06, teppisti-xpla wrote:
> On 09/04/16 12:41, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > If you need to know the version of an application, then checking that
> > application is likely the best thing to do :-)
>
> I don't want to know the version of an application :-)

Isn't that the only useful information?

> ..the terms we are using are a little confusing may be :-)
> I want to know the version of "KDE APPLICATIONS" that, as I get, should
> be a container where many applications are in it.
> is there a way to get the version of this container without asking for
> the version of an application that is in it??

Well, different applications can be from different "bundles" or meta packages
or containers as you say.
The package system probably has a reverse dependency graph that you could
query.

The closest thing without using the package information is to query the
version for each program individually and hope that the application version
and the "container" version are the same.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring