[kde-linux] 4.14.3 issues #1 Folder Widget

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 20 08:22:52 UTC 2015

On 10/19/2015 01:57 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:10:54 -0700, James Tyrer wrote:
>> That is the problem with self taught hackers and why they are not
>> software engineers.  They need a designer and engineer to work under,
>> but they are unable to do so.
>
> Why should a gifted autodidact have less abilities than an academic?

A self taught person can learn the same things that they would learn in
academia.  The problem is that they do not choose to do so and that they
do not realize that they need to do so.

> Aren't a lot of KDE coders academics?

A few but most are self taught hackers.

> And why do you sent such academic bullshit to a mailing list focused
> specifically on questions and discussions regarding using KDE on Linux?

This list is to discuss KDE & Linux.  There is another list if you just
want to discuss KDE without any philosophical discussions about OSS or
ideas about design vs. implementation.

<SNIP>

> Assumed somebody don't want to
> drop KDE, using an old version of KDE is possible

No, the point is quickly reached where old software will not compile or
run.  The old software would need to be maintained.

> and sending bug
> reports regarding the new KDE is how things work for nearly all FLOSS
> projects.

Unfortunately, I no longer had the privilege of sending KDE bug reports.
  Perhaps with the passage of time, that may have changed, but I really
doubt that that is the case.  I have to presume that my bug reports will
be summarily be rejected even if they have a patch to fix the problems
as has been the case in the past.

> It's ok to mention opinions about good and/or bad design on this and
> similar mailing lists, but to discredit people is bad. What next?

My intention is not to discredit people but rather to comment on ideas.
  Not specifically to discredit ideas but to suggest that there are
better ideas.  I have opposed the false idea that knowing a programing
language was knowing how to program since I first learned how to program.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch

--