[kde-linux] A question of middle button cut/paste with fedora 20 kde

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jan 23 23:25:55 UTC 2015

George R Goffe posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:20:14 +0000 as excerpted:

> I have noticed that my middle button cut/paste is not pasting the data
> that I have cut/copied. Is this a bug with KDE or is it a UFU (User Foul
> Up)... namely, my own?

It's a bit tough to say with the posted information.  Here's a couple
generally related observations, tho, that with a bit of luck will help
sort it out...

1) It's not clear from your question whether you're aware of the
difference between xorg's select/paste and the more MS-user-familiar
copy/paste mechanisms, both of which kde supports, and if you are aware,
which of the two (or both) you were having issues with.

1a) X-style select/paste pastes the last /selected/ content -- there's no
need to specifically cut/copy it first.  Paste using this method is
traditionally accomplished using the middle mouse button, which you
mentioned, implying you had this in mind even tho you specified cut/copy
instead of select.

1b) MS-style cut/copy/paste works a bit differently.  In addition to
selecting content, you must trigger a specific cut/copy/paste action
using either the keyboard shortcuts (which by cross-platform default are
ctrl-x to cut, ctrl-c to copy, ctrl-v to paste), or the associated toolbar
buttons.  Your use of cut/copy instead of select implies that you had
this in mind, despite the fact that you also mentioned middle-mouse-
button paste, which normally has nothing to do with this method.

So as I said, it's ambiguous whether you meant MS-style cut/copy/paste or
X-style select/paste, since you used terms implying both, which in turn
indicates that you may in fact not be aware of the difference at all,
particularly given that you didn't specifically mention the difference
and to which you were referring.

2) Klipper is a kde-default select/cut/copy/paste AKA "clipboard" helper
tool that normally starts with kde, with configuration available from the
klipper icon normally found in the system tray.  (Look for a pair of
scissors.)

Normally klipper will keep a configurable number of clipboard history
entries on a stack, instead of the single one otherwise available in each
of the two separate styles above (thus one for MS-style cut/copy/paste,
one for X-style select/paste).

Also configurable is whether klipper synchronizes the contents of the two
otherwise separate clipboard buffers or not.  If it is set to
synchronize, then you may see accidental X-style selections before
pasting override your MS-style paste buffer, such that when you use MS-
style paste, you get the accidental X-style selection pasted instead.

There are additional configuration options controlling whether selection
is ignored (if you prefer MS-style and the X-style selection keeps
accidentally getting pasted instead of the MS-style cut/copy buffer),
whether an empty clipboard buffer is allowed, whether images are ignored
and whether only text selection is allowed.

Meanwhile, on a different tab, there's a place to configure popup
actions, which some find helpful and others irritating, and a way to
disable these actions if you find them irritating.

I strongly suspect that your problems have to do with klipper.  Either
it's not running for some reason and you simply need to start it
(possibly after installing it, I run gentoo and not fedora, so I haven't
a clue whether fedora's default kde install includes klipper or not), or
it's running but is now configured differently than you are used to, and
is thus behaving differently.  If it's the latter, playing with the
configuration a bit should help.

Unfortunately, beyond that it's impossible to say given the posted
information, because there simply wasn't that much actually posted to go
on.

But that should get you pointed in the right direction, at least.  With a
bit of luck it'll be enough to let you fix it yourself.  If not, let it
be a guide to posting additional information about which of the two
methods (or both) you were talking about, whether klipper is running or
not, and if running, what its configuration is.  That should help in
further narrowing down and hopefully solving the problem. =:^)