[kde-linux] Dist-upgrade or not??

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Dec 2 14:08:31 UTC 2015

David Baron posted on Wed, 02 Dec 2015 13:00:36 +0200 as excerpted:

> Dist upgrade will:
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libsmokeqtwebkit4-3 plasma-scriptengine-ruby plasma-scriptengines
>   ruby-plasma ruby-qt4-webkit
>
> Long time already. Are these (engines, anyway) deprecated, superseded?
> Keep on waiting?

You don't say to what version of kde/plasma you'll be upgrading to, or
what you're on now, and while distro and version you're upgrading to/
from, which you didn't include either, would help for those familiar with
it, it wouldn't help me (a gentooer) much, either.

But...  At least part of those are qt4/kde4 versions, and if you're
upgrading to something current enough, presumably you'd be upgrading to
qt5/kde-frameworks5/plasma5 versions, so the qt4/kde4 versions would
indeed be superseded.

Of course if that is indeed the case, it's a major desktop environment
upgrade as well, so to the extent that you've customized your current
kde4/plasma4, you can expect most of that customization to be gone and
should be prepared to spend some time familiarizing yourself with
plasma5's differences and recustomizing it.

FWIW, that's the big blocker for upgrading here.  I'm a heavy customizer,
and kde4 is customized and working relatively well for me now.
Meanwhile, plasma5/kde5 can't be fully installed along side kde4 unless
your distro takes pains to install them separately, so by definition
installing plasma5 is going to break my working kde4 install, and I'm
going to need a sizable block of time to get plasma5 running and
customized to reasonably comparable working order.  And it's that sizable
block of time I'm having difficulty coming up with, so I've continued to
put off the upgrade.  Luckily gentoo is continuing to carry both kde4 and
plasma5 for the time being, and it's a rolling distro, so the rest of the
system continues to upgrade as normal, even tho the plasma5 upgrade /is/
on hold.