[kde-linux] How do I disable the popup which appears when I change workspaces?

Mun Johl Mun.Johl at Emulex.Com
Mon Apr 6 17:03:24 UTC 2015

Hi Duncan,

On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 01:06 AM PDT, Duncan wrote:
D> Mun Johl posted on Fri, 03 Apr 2015 09:36:06 -0700 as excerpted:
D>
D> > On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 07:40 PM PDT, Duncan wrote:
D> > D> Mun Johl posted on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 17:46:41 -0700 as excerpted:

D> > D> Disabling those popups should be possible, and is /definitely/
D> > D> possible in current kde4 (4.14.6 with 4.11.17 plasma, on qt 4.8.6)
D> > D> but that version of kde4 is so old (over half a decade), that I'm not
D> > D> sure how well the below instructions translate
D>
D> > Unfortunately, I don't have any control regarding the software updates.
D> >
D> > D> KDE system settings, workspace appearance and behavior, workspace
D> > D> behavior, virtual desktops.  It will default to the desktops tab.
D> > D> Change to the switching tab.
D>
D> > It appears I am out of luck.  I don't have the exact hierarchy as you
D> > describe, but I did find some Window and Desktop Switching Effects
D> > controls under "Desktop Effects".  However, there is a note on that page
D> > stating that "Compositing is not supported on your system."  Thus, all
D> > of the settings are grayed out.
D>
D> Look around a bit more, desktop effects is a different control panel
D> applet than I was referring to, and while the lack of OpenGL support on
D> your system does disable most desktop effects, and with them the
D> animation option I mentioned, it obviously doesn't disable the popup
D> you're trying to be rid of, or it wouldn't be there to get rid of!
D>
D> So look around, the applet I mentioned won't be where I said due to the
D> age of your system, but it should be there, and IIRC, it contained the
D> option to disable that popup even back then.  You just have to find the
D> right applet.
D>
D>
D> Another way to go about it would be to try this.  Open a konsole
D> commandline window and type into it:
D>
D> kcmshell4 --list
D>
D> That should output a whole list of the available kde control panel
D> modules.  With a bit of luck, the "desktop" module will be on that list.
D>
D> Assuming it is, try this:
D>
D> kcmshell4 desktop

"desktop" was in fact on the list.  However when I run the
"kcmshell4 desktop" command, what comes up is the "Multiple Desktops -
KDE Control Module" window.  The only configuration options within are
to set the number of desktops, and being able to name each of the
desktops.

No tabs for other choices is present.  Nor can I find anywhere else to
make the changes.  Searching for "switch" only brings up the orignal
Desktop Effects page I previously mentioned.

I'm thinking that when I have some time, I will look into editing the
KDE Theme I am using (Aya).  Perhaps there is something enabled in there
that triggers the popup for desktop switching.

Again, thanks very much for your insights and support!

Kind regards,

--
Mun