[kde-linux] Virtualbox start icon missing

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Mar 21 07:46:18 UTC 2014

Hi Mark,

On Thursday, 2014-03-20, 17:26:49, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>    Thanks for the speedy reply
>
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Mark.,
> >

> > In a KDE session you can easily retrieve the full list search paths for
> > .desktop files using the following command:
> >
> > kde4-config --path xdgdata-apps
> >
> > If you son's system is missing the entry for Virtual Box then either did
> > the .desktop file not get installed or not into one of the search
> > locations, or if it is installed, the installation failed to trigger the
> > update mechanism.
> With your help I now see that my son's system has the same
> virtualbox.desktop file that's on the other systems:
>
> rocky ~ # cat /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Oracle xVM VirtualBox
> Type=Application
> Comment=Run several virtual systems on a single host computer
> Exec=VirtualBox
> TryExec=VirtualBox
> Icon=virtualbox
> Categories=System;Emulator;
> rocky ~ #

That looks good.

> As a layman it's not clear to me whether the
> "Categories=System;Emulator;" say put this in System, or put it in
> System->Emulator but it's not anywhere I can find so it appears that
> the install 'failed to trigger the update mechanism'.

The Categories are basically hints, used by the menu implementations to group
applications. I think in KDE's menu it would go into System.

It is strange that in your case it is not added at all and unfortunately I
don't know why. Things that go into /usr/share/applications here appear even
automatically, i.e. without manually triggering the update.

You could try coping the virtualbox.desktop to your son's
$HOME/.local/share/applications/

And the running the update program again.

If nothing else works you could try adding the menu entry manually using
kmenuedit.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring