[kde-linux] Virtualbox start icon missing

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 23:34:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>    Thanks for the speedy reply
>
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi Mark.,
>>

>> In a KDE session you can easily retrieve the full list search paths for
>> .desktop files using the following command:
>>
>> kde4-config --path xdgdata-apps
>>
>> If you son's system is missing the entry for Virtual Box then either did the
>> .desktop file not get installed or not into one of the search locations, or if
>> it is installed, the installation failed to trigger the update mechanism.
>>

> With your help I now see that my son's system has the same
> virtualbox.desktop file that's on the other systems:
>
> rocky ~ # cat /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Oracle xVM VirtualBox
> Type=Application
> Comment=Run several virtual systems on a single host computer
> Exec=VirtualBox
> TryExec=VirtualBox
> Icon=virtualbox
> Categories=System;Emulator;
> rocky ~ #
>
> As a layman it's not clear to me whether the
> "Categories=System;Emulator;" say put this in System, or put it in
> System->Emulator but it's not anywhere I can find so it appears that
> the install 'failed to trigger the update mechanism'.
>
>> In the latter case you can run that manually:
>>
>> kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
>>

> Unfortunately when I attempt this it fails as it appears the document
> it's trying to load is empty/corrupted
>
> mark at rocky ~ $ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> kbuildsycoca4(3126) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in
> "/home/mark/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu"
> , line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"
> kbuildsycoca4(3126) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry
> text/html in "/home/mark/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" is
> not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
> mark at rocky ~ $ cat
> /home/mark/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu
> mark at rocky ~ $
>
> Now, as a second test I logged in as my son and looked in his menus.
> The icon isn't there but in his account the kbuildsycoco4 command
> didn't fail, but it also didn't appear to create the icon:
>
> matt at rocky ~ $ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> matt at rocky ~ $
>
> To verify this is there a file in my account that holds the icon info
> that I can look at? (Not edit, just look at.)
>
> Anyway, it's still apparently not working.

So for kicks I tried deleting the file that it was complaining about.
Now I get further but still have messages:

mark at rocky ~/.config/menus/applications-merged $ ls -la
total 12
drwx------ 2 mark mark 4096 Mar 19 18:06 .
drwx------ 3 mark mark 4096 Mar 19 18:06 ..
-rw------- 1 mark mark  450 Mar 19 18:06 user-chrome-apps.menu
-rw------- 1 mark mark    0 Mar 19 18:06 xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu
mark at rocky ~/.config/menus/applications-merged $ rm xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu
mark at rocky ~/.config/menus/applications-merged $ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(11065) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry
text/html in "/home/mark/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" is
not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
mark at rocky ~/.config/menus/applications-merged $ cat
/home/mark/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list [Added
Associations]
text/html=google-chrome.desktop

[Default Applications]