[kde-linux] Hard Disk issues

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jan 23 21:19:27 UTC 2014

James Tyrer posted on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:11:43 -0700 as excerpted:

> I presume that KInfoCenter managed to find other information by reading
> the /proc directory.  I understand that KInfoCenter uses Solid.

As Kevin mentions, probably not /proc, per se.  I believe he's correct on
udisks/udisks2, but I think udisks2 anyway gets a lot of its info from
/sys (as opposed to /proc) and udev.  (IIRC udisks got a lot of its info
from devmapper, which it I believe run-time depended on, but udisks2 no
longer has the devmapper dependency.  That's IIRC, however, because I
tossed out that whole pile of deps along with polkit, etc, several kde-
minors ago, probably around 4.5 or so, before I the kmail akonadi switch
and my subsequent junking of it and all things semantic-desktop related
as well.  Tho presumably the fedora/opensuse based stuff would have
replaced some of the consolekit, etc, deps with systemd deps by now.)

> A live CD only has an ISO of the installed system -- NO RPMs but it is
> still a good idea that I will try since the source didn't give much
> information on what it might be dependent on.  I will have to download
> the RPM and perhaps the SRPM to see if there was anything added.

Well yes, the liveCD is normally just the installed system, not the rpms,
but if it's fedora based as you said, then the rpms should be available,
and with luck even listed in a database available from the cd in ordered
to facilitate installing to disk from the livecd.

Armed with a list of the packages actually installed on the livecd, a
search of rpmfind or the like should give you all the dependency data for
those rpms you could want, as well as distro changelogs, etc.  That's an
very nice resource for sysadmins on non-rpm-based distros as well. =:^)

(I suppose the same info is generically available on debs, but I know of
no online package resource paralleling rpmfind.net for debs, and kde
ships with the rpmfind: web/krunner shortcut which again I don't know a
deb parallel for, so...)

Talking about rpmfind, if your rpmfind krunner shortcut is activated:

rpmfind:gnome-disk

Which ends up here:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=gnome-disk

Looks like no fedora listed.  Perhaps they call it something else.  But
there's opensuse and mandriva packages listed.