[kde-linux] Downgrade KDE SC Version 4.12.2

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 23 16:29:47 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-02-23 at 15:57 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> In fact, it appears to be a missing library simple triggering a crash, as
> trying to (re-)start plasma-desktop results in a complaint about same.

What library is missing? Maybe just a

$ sudo ldconfig

is missing?

Regarding to the updater's levels I was thinking about the difference
between an apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade, however, there
should be no inconsistencies, all dependencies should be satisfied,
assumed somebody does use a distro that cares about/maintains it's
official repositories. However, I noticed that yesterday synaptic wanted
to remove KDEs WM, for my Debian install, ignoring the fact that this
would break my KDE install, it didn't cause a dependency issue to remove
the WM, but an issue was caused because I mix stable, testing, backports
and unstable, that's why it tried to remove the WM. It was easy to
solve, I only needed to do the upgrade manually in several steps, it was
just important that I did take care about it, IOW it was my
self-responsibility to take care. Who knows what those 4 Mint update
manager levels are for and what a Mint "Update Pack" (sounds like a
"Service Pack" ;) is? There's the need to care about the upgrade and not
automatically let an update manager do what it want's to do. "Update
Manager" also does sound strange, "Service Pack and Update Center"
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=win8other .

It's always possible that any OS could break, but we shouldn't enforce
breakage by using Linux in a Windows like style.

This might sound OT and a little bit rough, but I more and more often
read about similar issues as the OP has got. IMO users should consider
to use the advantages of Linux and to care about what they do.