[kde-linux] Problem with libreoffice

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Dec 2 11:03:29 UTC 2014

Robert Rea posted on Mon, 01 Dec 2014 13:27:33 -0500 as excerpted:

> It wont start in my home kde if I go to Konsole and su I get this:
>
> bob at gandalf:~> libreoffice
> ^C bob at gandalf:~> su
> Password:
> gandalf:/home/bob # libreoffice
> LibreOffice(10282)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found
> To circumvent this problem try the following command
> (with Linux and bash) export $(dbus-launch)
> gandalf:/home/bob # export $(dbus-launch)
> gandalf:/home/bob # libreoffice
> X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
>   Major opcode: 42 (X_SetInputFocus)
>   Resource id:  0xaa0002f
> ^C
> so then it starts but If I ctrl d to go back to the prompt it quits

Assuming bash as your shell, try ctrl-z (stop, suspend execution but
don't exit).  That should give you a shell prompt, but freeze the
previously running app.

Then type "bg" (without the quotes, bg=background), which will resume
execution in the background and return you to the shell prompt.  (The
alternative would be "fg", foreground, which would execute in the
foreground and not return you to the shell prompt.)

Then type "disown -a", disowning all jobs so they don't respond to the
SIGHUP when bash closes.

NOW you should be able to exit the bash shell and thus konsole, without
killing the command started from it. =:^)