[kde-linux] Display of network activity quit working.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 28 00:17:49 UTC 2013

On 06/27/2013 04:30 AM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 26 Jun 2013 21:31:10 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> On 06/26/2013 01:52 AM, Duncan wrote:
>>> James Tyrer posted on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:22:44 -0700 as excerpted:

>>> Umm... you can thank systemd's udev for that.
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=systemd+network+interface+names
>>>
>>> As several of those first-page google hits should point out, the names
>>> above stand for en=ethernet, p#=pci-bus-number, s#=slot-number.
>>>
>>> And at least it's relatively easy to either disable the new naming and
>>>
>>> Something like this as /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules should
>>> assign your chosen name (as one line):
>>
>> I didn't notice this, and this may be the problem.  I don't have a file:
>> "70-persistent-net.rules".  I forget what was supposed to write it.  I
>> thought that it was written on boot if it didn't exist.
>
> The above enp*s* style names are the new systemd-udev default (without
> udev the kernel still defaults to the old eth*/wlan* style names).
> Anything other than that would be due to either distro or sysadmin policy
> (and created override files), and given that you're running LFS, that
> would probably be YOUR policy/files.
>
> IOW, the existence or lack of existence of
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is /your/ responsibility, as
> it's /your/ override policy it's enforcing.  Otherwise you simply get the
> (systemd-udev) defaults, which have changed recently, much to the chagrin
> of various sysadmins such as myself.
>
> But at least there's still an exposed mechanism and documentation for
> creating/enforcing our own policy, regardless of what this week's
> defaults happen to be. =:^)  Unfortunately, that exposed policy mechanism
> has changed several times recently itself, such that keeping up with it
> isn't exactly simple, and the unaware sysadmin could easily get left
> behind and be left scrambling to figure out what happened and fix it, as
> apparently happened here.

Well, yes and no.  This file does not exist hard coded.  It must be
generated by a script upon installation.  A little looking and I find
that on my system the script is called "init-net-rules.sh" and it
appears that it is not run automatically.  So, I had to find it and run
it to make a new file.

So, now I have a correct file, but I doubt that this will make any
difference.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch