[kde-linux] Display of network activity quit working.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 27 11:30:34 UTC 2013

James Tyrer posted on Wed, 26 Jun 2013 21:31:10 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 06/26/2013 01:52 AM, Duncan wrote:
>> James Tyrer posted on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:22:44 -0700 as excerpted:
>>
>>> I am just finishing up with updating to 4.10.3 if that matters.
>>> Somewhere before that, the display of my network activity quit
>>> working. I think that it might have been exactly when my Ethernet
>>> ports were assigned new and strange names.  I now have two named:
>>>
>>> 	enp5s12 enp0s18
>>
>> Umm... you can thank systemd's udev for that.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=systemd+network+interface+names
>>
>> As several of those first-page google hits should point out, the names
>> above stand for en=ethernet, p#=pci-bus-number, s#=slot-number.
>>
>> And at least it's relatively easy to either disable the new naming and
>>
>> Something like this as /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules should
>> assign your chosen name (as one line):
>
> I didn't notice this, and this may be the problem.  I don't have a file:
> "70-persistent-net.rules".  I forget what was supposed to write it.  I
> thought that it was written on boot if it didn't exist.

The above enp*s* style names are the new systemd-udev default (without
udev the kernel still defaults to the old eth*/wlan* style names).
Anything other than that would be due to either distro or sysadmin policy
(and created override files), and given that you're running LFS, that
would probably be YOUR policy/files.

IOW, the existence or lack of existence of
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is /your/ responsibility, as
it's /your/ override policy it's enforcing.  Otherwise you simply get the
(systemd-udev) defaults, which have changed recently, much to the chagrin
of various sysadmins such as myself.

But at least there's still an exposed mechanism and documentation for
creating/enforcing our own policy, regardless of what this week's
defaults happen to be. =:^)  Unfortunately, that exposed policy mechanism
has changed several times recently itself, such that keeping up with it
isn't exactly simple, and the unaware sysadmin could easily get left
behind and be left scrambling to figure out what happened and fix it, as
apparently happened here.