[kde-linux] Printing shortcut problem

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Fri Jun 14 22:27:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 04:11:27 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> Thomas Taylor posted on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:25:57 -0700 as excerpted:
>
> > Somehow I managed to modify the keyboard shortcut for "print" in
> > Krusader.
> > Ctrl-P now goes to split and I haven't been able to find where to change
> > that. When I go to "File > Split" it shows Ctrl-p and if I try to modify
> > that by typing another control key combo nothing happens.
>
> You're typing the other combo directly in the menu?  That's the gtk/gnome
> method, not kde, and won't work for kde.  (FWIW that has issues anyway,
> since for instance it's impossible to set the obvious Alt-letter hotkey
> for entries if the same sequence is already set as the menu accel, since
> you're in the menu when setting it and thus it'll activate the menu accel
> instead of setting the hotkey.)
>
> > The Ctrl-P
> > works properly in other programs.  When I look in "Desktop Config >
> > Shortcuts & Gestures the only notation for Ctrl-P is "print file".
>
> Given that it works for other programs, that would be expected, since the
> common kde setting is what's available to set in the general kde settings
> under shortcuts and gestures.
>
> > I frequently print files from Krusader and always use the Ctrl-P combo.
> > How do I change it back?
> >
> > KDE 4.10.2 openSuSE 12.3-M1 Krusader 2.4.0-ß3
>
> To set it for an individual kde application (which override the common
> case if they're set specifically, as appears to be your problem), you
> must use the individual application's shortcut settings.  I don't have
> krusader installed (I tried it but couldn't find a niche for it in my
> workflow) so can't confirm that it follows the general kde rule here, but
> in most cases, a kde application's specific keyboard shortcut settings
> are found in its settings menu, configure shortcuts.
>
> So look in krusader for a settings menu, configure shortcuts.  You
> /should/ be able to set/clear it there.
>
> The other alternative is to delete the setting from the config file
> itself.  With krusader NOT running, try editing its config file, which if
> it follows the standard kde config file location rules should be
> $KDEHOME/share/config/krusaderrc or something very close.  (If KDEHOME
> isn't set, the default as shipped by kde is ~/.kde , but many distros
> including openSuSE I believe, append the kde major version as well, since
> they ship or for a period shipped both kde3 and kde4 and kept the configs
> separate, thus ~/.kde4 , which would make the path ~/.kde4/share/config/
> krusaderrc .)

Hi Duncan,
After searching all configuration options in Krusader and viewing both of the
configuration files under /.kde4/share/ I have not been able to find where this
value is stored.

I then deleted Krusader and re-installed it making NO changes to any settings.
Ctrl-P is still opening a "split" dialog.  It would seem to be hard coded into
Krusader.

Also, I gave the wrong version of openSUSE.  It should be 13.1-M1.  Getting old
I guess.

When I login to OS 12.3, that version of Krusader has Ctrl-P opening a print
dialog as expected.  Should this be taken to a developers lsit?

Thanks, Tom

--
“It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.”
 - Harry S. Truman

^^^^
Tom Taylor - retired penguin - KG7CFC
AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata2
openSUSE 12.3-x86_64
KDE 4.10.00, FF 19.0, claws-mail 3.9.1
registered linux user 263467