[kde-linux] Printing shortcut problem

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jun 14 04:11:27 UTC 2013

Thomas Taylor posted on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:25:57 -0700 as excerpted:

> Somehow I managed to modify the keyboard shortcut for "print" in
> Krusader.
> Ctrl-P now goes to split and I haven't been able to find where to change
> that. When I go to "File > Split" it shows Ctrl-p and if I try to modify
> that by typing another control key combo nothing happens.

You're typing the other combo directly in the menu?  That's the gtk/gnome
method, not kde, and won't work for kde.  (FWIW that has issues anyway,
since for instance it's impossible to set the obvious Alt-letter hotkey
for entries if the same sequence is already set as the menu accel, since
you're in the menu when setting it and thus it'll activate the menu accel
instead of setting the hotkey.)

> The Ctrl-P
> works properly in other programs.  When I look in "Desktop Config >
> Shortcuts & Gestures the only notation for Ctrl-P is "print file".

Given that it works for other programs, that would be expected, since the
common kde setting is what's available to set in the general kde settings
under shortcuts and gestures.

> I frequently print files from Krusader and always use the Ctrl-P combo.
> How do I change it back?
>
> KDE 4.10.2 openSuSE 12.3-M1 Krusader 2.4.0-ß3

To set it for an individual kde application (which override the common
case if they're set specifically, as appears to be your problem), you
must use the individual application's shortcut settings.  I don't have
krusader installed (I tried it but couldn't find a niche for it in my
workflow) so can't confirm that it follows the general kde rule here, but
in most cases, a kde application's specific keyboard shortcut settings
are found in its settings menu, configure shortcuts.

So look in krusader for a settings menu, configure shortcuts.  You
/should/ be able to set/clear it there.

The other alternative is to delete the setting from the config file
itself.  With krusader NOT running, try editing its config file, which if
it follows the standard kde config file location rules should be
$KDEHOME/share/config/krusaderrc or something very close.  (If KDEHOME
isn't set, the default as shipped by kde is ~/.kde , but many distros
including openSuSE I believe, append the kde major version as well, since
they ship or for a period shipped both kde3 and kde4 and kept the configs
separate, thus ~/.kde4 , which would make the path ~/.kde4/share/config/
krusaderrc .)