[kde-linux] Nepomuk database cleanup?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 18:55:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht posted on Fri, 05 Jul 2013 09:55:14 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>>    I was doing a review of diskspace usage on my day-to-day desktop
>> machine and was surprised to find a nepomuk directory under .kde4
>> containing a soprano-virtuoso.db file that's 1.3GB. Today is July 5th
>> and the date on the file is May 3rd.
>>
>>    I have no personal knowledge of why I need or how I use nepomuk
>> day-to-day. In System Settings I have not enabled the Nepomuk Semantic
>> Desktop. Under Indexing it's set to index everything except Source Code.
>>
>>    I do not appear to have a virtuoso-t process running so I suspect
>> this is all wasted disk space.
>>
>>    Is there a proper way to clean this up?
<SNIP>

> If you're concerned, try the rename trick.

That was my plan unless someone had a more accepted KDE method. (I.e.
- something that kept the file but compressed it significantly.) I
suspect I can likely get rid of it completely as it hasn't been
touched in months. I was also thinking I could enable the nepomuk
feature in system settings and at least check the date I end up with.

Basically I _think_ I turned off nepomuk as it would start indexing at
inopportune times creating too much CPU usage and therefore risk
messing up my real-time trading taking place in Windows VMs. I suspect
the last time I ran into that might have been a couple of months ago
but I only found the file last week.

Thanks for the inputs!

Cheers,
Mark