[kde-linux] Nepomuk database cleanup?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 5 18:46:01 UTC 2013

Mark Knecht posted on Fri, 05 Jul 2013 09:55:14 -0700 as excerpted:

>    I was doing a review of diskspace usage on my day-to-day desktop
> machine and was surprised to find a nepomuk directory under .kde4
> containing a soprano-virtuoso.db file that's 1.3GB. Today is July 5th
> and the date on the file is May 3rd.
>
>    I have no personal knowledge of why I need or how I use nepomuk
> day-to-day. In System Settings I have not enabled the Nepomuk Semantic
> Desktop. Under Indexing it's set to index everything except Source Code.
>
>    I do not appear to have a virtuoso-t process running so I suspect
> this is all wasted disk space.
>
>    Is there a proper way to clean this up?

I just deleted it here.  However, do note that if you're using kmail,
it's possible part of that is kmail index.  But in any case, if it's
needed, it should be recreated, so worst-case it might make accessing
something a bit slower for a bit.

If you're concerned, try the rename trick.  Just move/rename the file or
directory to something else, and use your computer as normal for a few
days (including at least one kde restart).  If you've not noticed any
problem traceable to that after a few days and at least one kde restart,
and in particular if the files haven't been recreated, final deletion
shouldn't be an issue.

FWIW (noting that you're a gentooer also), that's one reason I don't want
semantic-desktop back on my system.  I don't like "surprises" of several
gigabytes (and I had several of them back when I /did/ have USE=semantic-
desktop) for something I don't find useful in the first place.  But of
course gentoo/kde is (build-time) force-enabling semantic-desktop with
4.11 (tho it's still run-time disablable), taking away the previous
choice to not even install the (for me) junk in the first place.  Thus my
thread on the gentoo-desktop list asking if anyone else is interested in
helping me maintain the patches I'm already using with the 4.11 betas, to
keep the junk off the system despite gentoo/kde's hard-enabling it at
build-time.