[kde-linux] How do I change the font of the desktop labels in the taskbar?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Feb 27 05:39:05 UTC 2013

Mun Johl posted on Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:37:52 -0800 as excerpted:

> My Platform:
>    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.9 (Tikanga)
>    Qt: 3.3.6 KDE: 3.5.4-26.el5_7.1 Red Hat
>
> I am trying to figure out which font setting applies to the desktop
> labels on the taskbar.  I have tried modifying the "Taskbar" font via
> the KDE Control Center, but that only changed the font of the labels for
> the open applications, and not the desktop labels.  I actually want to
> do the reverse if possible: That is, only change the font of the desktop
> labels, and not the labels of the running applications.
>
> BTW, do I need to reboot for the change to take affect on the desktop
> labels?

Wow, qt3, kde3, that's half a decade out of date, and kde 3.5.4 is
several years older than that!  I doubt you'll find many who remember the
details that far back, let alone who are still running it.  You'd
probably be better off on the Red Hat forums, assuming they're still
supporting it, as you'll likely at least have people there still running
stuff of that vintage.

Meanwhile, I can't answer the taskbar font question as I haven't actually
run a taskbar (I do alt-tab, or task-list with a middle-click on the
desktop, or with kde4, there's the cube/cylinder/globe-switch, grid-
switch, and other opengl-effect-based choices available) since...
probably kde 3.2 era.

But I can answer the last question.  A reboot shouldn't be necessary, tho
you may have to restart plasma (if you were running kde4) or ... it'd be
kicker back in the kde3 era.  Alternatively, simply restart kde (logout
and back in if using a *dm graphical login, or quit kde/X and run startx
or whatever again, if using a CLI (commaind line interface) login and
starting X/kde from there).  There's definitely no need for a full
reboot, since X and kde run on top of the CLI.

As I said, for the font question, your best bet is a RHEL5 forum, tho
it's /possible/ you'll find someone here who remembers that far back and
even remotely possible you'll find someone else actually still running
it, tho I doubt it as the discussion is pretty much all kde4 these days,
and most folks still running kde3 would have unsubscribed as it's 99%
noise, to them.