[kde-linux] mass copying

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Aug 15 20:26:05 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 01:19 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2013-08-15, Doug wrote:
>> In Windows 95 (and I think in Win 98) you could open a window on a
>> directory, open a window on another directory, and using the mouse,
>> highlight a series of files in the first directory. Then you could
>> *copy* that whole group of files to the second directory, en masse.
>> Or, I think you could decide to *move* them, en masse.
>>
>> I don't think you can do that in Windows 7 or 8, but I'm not sure.
>> Anyway:
>>
>> I have not discovered any way to do that in KDE or using any Linux app.
>> Can it be done, and if so, how?  It's a royal PITA to copy or move files
>> one-by-one to another directory.
>
> This is strange, that has been available for more than a decade in basically
> all UI file managers.
>
> Lets assume using Dolphin.
>
> Select files to copy move in one window, then
> 1) drag to second window
> 2) edit->copy  (cut for move) in first window, edit ->paste in second
> 3) right click -> copy (cut), right click -> paste
> 4) CTRL+C (+X), CTRL+V
> or any combination of the last three.
>
> Works on local file systems and remotely (FTP, SFTP, WebDav, etc).
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

It doesn't work for me on PCLOS. I cannot drag a highlighted list of
files from one open Dolphin window to another--nothing happens. The
second window remains empty. (I have selected an unused directory.)
Then, in the first open Dolphin, I can snap on Copy, but in the second
window, Copy and Paste are grayed out.

Suggestions?

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley