[kde-linux] mass copying

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Aug 15 17:19:11 UTC 2013

On Thursday, 2013-08-15, Doug wrote:
> In Windows 95 (and I think in Win 98) you could open a window on a
> directory, open a window on another directory, and using the mouse,
> highlight a series of files in the first directory. Then you could
> *copy* that whole group of files to the second directory, en masse.
> Or, I think you could decide to *move* them, en masse.
>
> I don't think you can do that in Windows 7 or 8, but I'm not sure.
> Anyway:
>
> I have not discovered any way to do that in KDE or using any Linux app.
> Can it be done, and if so, how?  It's a royal PITA to copy or move files
> one-by-one to another directory.

This is strange, that has been available for more than a decade in basically
all UI file managers.

Lets assume using Dolphin.

Select files to copy move in one window, then
1) drag to second window
2) edit->copy  (cut for move) in first window, edit ->paste in second
3) right click -> copy (cut), right click -> paste
4) CTRL+C (+X), CTRL+V
or any combination of the last three.

Works on local file systems and remotely (FTP, SFTP, WebDav, etc).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring