[kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 2 04:12:11 UTC 2013

On 08/01/2013 06:58 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Thu, 01 Aug 2013 15:04:49 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> On 08/01/2013 02:45 PM, James Tyrer wrote:
>>> Yes, I checked and there is no file:
>>>
>>> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kded.service
>>>
>>> So, what is the problem?  Is there a package that I failed to install
>>> that contains this file, or is this an erroneous error message?
>>>
>>> It appears to cause other problems.  When KDE starts up, there are two
>>> error message.  First that the kded daemon crashed and then that
>>> something couldn't find the ktimezoned daemon.
>>>
>> It appears to be the general cause of the time zone problem:
>>
>> rekonq(13587)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned
>> initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "The name org.kde.kded was not provided
>> by any .service files"
>
> That would be expected if kded crashed, since it's the mechanism by which
> kde apps get configuration change notifications and likely the mechanism
> the timezone daemon plugs into.
>
> I have a similar "not provided by any .service files" error here, but
> it's for something rather less critical then kded (I don't remember
> exactly what).
>
> Meanwhile, here's the content of my /usr/share/dbus-1/services/ dir,
> courtesy bash autocomplete (the .keep_* file is an artifact of gentoo's
> packaging system):
>
> .keep_sys-apps_dbus-0
> org.freedesktop.xesam.searcher.service
> org.kde.fontinst.service                org.kde.knotify.service
> org.kde.krunner.service                 vandenoever.strigi.service
>

> And here's a relevant grep and its results:
>
> $>>grep org.kde. /usr/share/dbus-1/services/*
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.fontinst.service:Name=org.kde.fontinst
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.knotify.service:Name=org.kde.knotify
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.krunner.service:Name=org.kde.krunner
>

> So there's three org.kde.* services listed, but none of them are
> org.kde.kded.
>
> Meanwhile, the kded4 binary is provided here by the kdelibs package, but
> while that package installs a bunch of files to
> /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces/, it does NOT install anything to the
> services subdir, only interfaces.
>
> In interfaces, however, there is a file org.kde.kded.xml, which contains
> an <interface name="org.kde.kded"> entry, with a bunch of nested
> methods.  Might it be /that/ file that's missing or corrupted on your
> system?
>
> FWIW, kde-4.11-live-branch installed here, tho I've not updated for a
> couple weeks (14 days and a few hours according the the warning I got
> when I did some package database queries researching this).
>
> Meanwhile, in kde settings, system administration, startup and shutdown,
> service manager... I don't seem to see the timezone daemon listed any
> longer, tho I definitely remember seeing it not too long ago, probably in
> 4.10.x.  So I can't track it down for you, tho I don't know for sure
> whether its disappearance is due to kde 4.11 changes or due to my
> [...]

I have looked at this and have reached the conclusion that the file:

	/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kded.service

is simply missing on my system.  I have installed 4.10.3

It appears to work with the most basic contents:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.kde.kded
Exec=/opt/kde/bin/kded4

{The path for Exec needs to be adjusted for your system}

This seems to work OK.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch