[kde-linux] KDESU doesn't work again with 4.10

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 23 19:33:50 UTC 2013

On 04/23/2013 12:21 AM, Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> On 04/20/2013 11:01 PM, Dale wrote:
>>>

>>> I still use Konqueror as root too.  I have a menu item set up this way.
>>> For command:  "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement" and then I set it
>>> to run as user root under advanced.  It works even after the upgrade and
>>> has worked for quite a while now.
>>>
>>> When I select the item, it asks for the root password and then opens
>>> Konqueror with root access.  This may be a different way but maybe you
>>> can use that as a guide.
>>
>> IIUC, this is a KDE extension to the standard, or was a KDEism that
>> was never included in the standard.  Either way, it is not in the
>> standard, so I stopped using it.  I find that I can not find any
>> documentation for it and no longer remember the exact syntax.
>>
>> Could you please post a quote from your desktop file?
>>

> I just changed mine in the K menu then put a copy on the little kicker
> thingy.  I been using that since the old KDE3 days and it works fine
> here.  I actually found it on the KDE website somewhere.  I just copied
> the settings and command from there.

BTW, when you make changes to you KDE menu, 'desktop' files for that
user are created in:

	$HOME/.local/share/applications/

So, the changes to the 'desktop' file are KDE extensions:

X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
X-KDE-Username=root

So, now I need help.  I have this 'desktop' file:

--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Exec=kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
GenericName=File Manager
Icon=konqueror
Name=Konqueror root
NoDisplay=false
Path[$e]=/
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=0
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DocPath=konqueror/index.html
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
X-KDE-Username=root

created by the menu editor.  The KDESU window open, I enter the root
password, click the button, the window disappears, and nothing further
happens.  No Konqueror and no error box.

Thanks for your assistance so far.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch