[kde-linux] KDESU doesn't work again with 4.10

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 23:56:53 UTC 2013

On 04/20/2013 11:01 PM, Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> I installed the link to: "kdesu" and I found that a desktop fine that
>> used it doesn't work.  The file had:
>>
>> Exec=kdesu -c "konqueror --profile filemanagement /" --caption "SU
>> Root KFM"
>>
>> {that is one line}
>>
>> Instead of Konqueror, I get a window titled: "Konqueror - The KDE
>> Crash Handler" reporting that Konqueror crashed.  So KDESU must have
>> worked and called Konqueror, but not correctly as it immediately crashed.
>>
>> Since I had previously fixed the bug in KDESU that prevented it from
>> working, I was a bit disappointed. :-(
>>
>> Could this be something that I am doing differently?  Before I
>> finished building KDE, I was using TWM with X11 and I noticed while
>> running as my user account, I opened an Xterm, did: "su -" and
>> attempted to open konqueror that it crashed with a message that I had
>> to first enter an instruction to so that D-Bus was running.  So, I
>> followed the instructions in Beyond Linux From Scratch to have BASH
>> start and stop D-Bus with the profile and logout scripts -- something
>> I had not done in my previous installation.  That cured that problem.
>>
>> I also note that this hack:
>>
>>   Exec=kdesu -c 'bash -l -c "konqueror --profile filemanagement /"'
>> --caption "SU Root KFM"
>>
>> {again, this is one line}
>>
>> makes my desktop file open Konqueror as root with the "filemanagement"
>> profile and the "/" directory just fine.  However, if this isn't
>> specific to my system and how I am handling starting D-Bus, it appears
>> that this hack is a work around for a bug and that KDESU should check
>> to see if D-BUS is running and if it isn't, it should start it before
>> calling the application that is to be opened.
>>
>> I also note that the: startkde script fails to detect that D-Bus is
>> running and there are two of them running.  But, that is a minor bug.
>>

> I still use Konqueror as root too.  I have a menu item set up this way.
> For command:  "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement" and then I set it
> to run as user root under advanced.  It works even after the upgrade and
> has worked for quite a while now.
>
> When I select the item, it asks for the root password and then opens
> Konqueror with root access.  This may be a different way but maybe you
> can use that as a guide.

IIUC, this is a KDE extension to the standard, or was a KDEism that was
never included in the standard.  Either way, it is not in the standard,
so I stopped using it.  I find that I can not find any documentation for
it and no longer remember the exact syntax.

Could you please post a quote from your desktop file?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch