[kde-linux] How to Get the Combination of NTFS-3g and Konqueror (as a file manager) to consume less CPU

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Sep 19 10:40:11 UTC 2012

Hi Kevin and Duncan,

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:49:52 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> Kevin Krammer posted on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:59:30 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > On Monday, 2012-09-03, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >
> >> Now, it dual boots between Windows 7 x86-64 (which I hardly use)
> >> and Mageia Linux 2 x86-64. Since I have a lot of space in my
> >> Windows 7 partition, I decided to use it to store many of my music
> >> files, so they get stored at /media/win_d/Music/mp3 , which has
> >> this as its /etc/fstab entry:
> >>
> >> UUID=24A43690A4366488 /media/win_d ntfs-3g defaults,umask=022 0 0
> >
> > I have my Windows partition mounted like this:
> > /dev/sda5       /data/share     auto
> > rw,user,noexec,noatime,umask=002,gid=users,utf8         0       0
>
> FWIW, that noatime option looks interesting; the others (except for
> utf8) are permissions options, and shouldn't have much effect on CPU,
> but access-time updates, which is what noatime disables, could be
> rather signfificant in some usage scenarios.

I tried adding the noatime option and it didn't improve things. It may
have actually made matters worse. Konqueror is still causing ntfs-3g to
consume some CPU. I am using kernel 3.3.8-desktop-2.mga2 which is well beyond
kernel 2.6.30, so that's not the problem either.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish