[kde-linux] Konqueror 4.9 FM popup image previews

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Oct 30 01:26:12 UTC 2012

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:19:06 AM Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>
wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk posted on Wed, 24 Oct 2012 22:58:04 -0600 as excerpted:
> > Anybody? I've updated to 4.9.2 and still no image previews in
> > Konqueror.
> >

> > On Monday, September 24, 2012 07:34:45 PM Jerome Yuzyk
> >
> > <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> >> [Fedora 17, KDE 4.9.1]
> >>
> >> I don't get any popup image previews in KFM 4.9.1 when I hover over a
> >> JPG. I'm configured to do so, and do in older KDEs, like 4.6.5. The
>
> FWIW gentoo here, kde 4.9.2.
>
> Preview popups?  I don't see them here either.  I *DO* see thumbnails if
> I turn on the icon-preview functionality, but that's in-place icon
> thumbnails, not popups.
>
> As you may know, konqueror uses the dolphin kpart for file management,
> just with a different wrapper around it.  Some versions ago (4.7 or 4.8
> I guess, it has been awhile, particularly here as I run the new version
> from the betas and thus start on the new version a couple months before
> full release), reworked much of they dolphin kpart's UI, and I'm
> wondering if the popup previews got taken out.  Because I don't

I have popup previews in 4.6.5, but not in anything later, so that must be
it. I sure hope that feature gets put back. There is a Konqueror setting
for the maximum size at which a popup is shown, but it appears to have no
effect.

> So I'd suggest either using the icon preview feature, or switching to
> gwenview (as I use) for image file management.  (Do note, however, that
> gwenview only shows directories images and video, not other filetypes,
> so it's not appropriate as a general file manager, as you won't even
> see sound file, text files, etc, with gwenview.)

Gwenview is OK as a cheap-and-dirty image viewer, EXCEPT it lies about the
actual orientation of the image, which makes it pretty useless for any
serious image management as I can't trust what it's displaying and have to
open the image to know what the orientation is. The old Konqueror previewer
at least keeps the preview and image in sync so I can mouse over images and
know what I have, without opening another program just to see what the
images are.