[kde-linux] Konqueror 4.9 FM popup image previews

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Oct 25 06:19:06 UTC 2012

Jerome Yuzyk posted on Wed, 24 Oct 2012 22:58:04 -0600 as excerpted:

> Anybody? I've updated to 4.9.2 and still no image previews in Konqueror.
>

> On Monday, September 24, 2012 07:34:45 PM Jerome Yuzyk
> <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
>> [Fedora 17, KDE 4.9.1]
>>
>> I don't get any popup image previews in KFM 4.9.1 when I hover over a
>> JPG. I'm configured to do so, and do in older KDEs, like 4.6.5. The

FWIW gentoo here, kde 4.9.2.

Preview popups?  I don't see them here either.  I *DO* see thumbnails if
I turn on the icon-preview functionality, but that's in-place icon
thumbnails, not popups.

As you may know, konqueror uses the dolphin kpart for file management,
just with a different wrapper around it.  Some versions ago (4.7 or 4.8 I
guess, it has been awhile, particularly here as I run the new version
from the betas and thus start on the new version a couple months before
full release), reworked much of they dolphin kpart's UI, and I'm
wondering if the popup previews got taken out.  Because I don't remember
seeing them for awhile. Tho I normally use gwenview for image file
management, and the "semigui" midnight commander (aka mc) in a konsole
window for sysadmin type tasks and text editing, so I don't spend as much
time in either konqueor or dolphin as a lot of folks do, and didn't
really notice the changes.  (I'm aware of them because I saw a note about
bringing inline file rename back in the 4.8 or 4.9 feature list for
dolphin, with them noting that the changes had broken the feature, and I
remember thinking to myself that I hadn't noticed it was gone, which I
certainly would have had I used dolphin/konqueror more, since I use that
feature when I do.)

So I'd suggest either using the icon preview feature, or switching to
gwenview (as I use) for image file management.  (Do note, however, that
gwenview only shows directories images and video, not other filetypes, so
it's not appropriate as a general file manager, as you won't even see
sound file, text files, etc, with gwenview.)

I do miss the popup preview occasionally myself, tho, and had wondered
for a few seconds where it went a time or two, but I didn't worry about
it too much because as I said I don't actually tend to use konqueror/
dolphin that much, except occasionally as what amounts to fancy file-open
dialogs.

One other possibility.  I'm assuming you have all the usual semantic-
desktop stuff turned on?  I not only have it turned off, but as I'm on
gentoo, I took advantage of USE flags to turn the feature entirely off at
build time.  And I switched that from on with 4.6 to off with 4.7, which
was I think about the time the popup preview feature disappeared as well,
and it's likely I subconsciously attributed changes about the same time
to that.

But AFAIK no binary distro ships with the semantic-desktop stuff turned
off at compile time, so I'd guess your Fedora 17 has it at least compiled
in, even if you have it turned off at runtime.  Assuming that's true, if
you're missing the popups too, it can't be the semantic-desktop I built
kde without, which means it's probably due to those dolphin kpart changes
I mentioned.