[kde-linux] hardware temperature widget

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 22 10:27:13 UTC 2012

James posted on Mon, 21 May 2012 15:57:05 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 05/20/12 17:46, Duncan wrote:
>> James posted on Sun, 20 May 2012 11:44:25 -0400 as excerpted:
>>
>>> My available temperatures/sensors is empty in the widget but the
>>> command sensors shows temperatures.
>>> The widget was written by Petri Damsten.
>>
>> Thanks, the author allowed me to confirm that I was trying the right
>> one.  But you didn't post the version of kde you're using.  That could
>> matter if there have been fixes...  FWIW, kde 4.8.3 here (on gentoo/
>> ~amd64 with the kde overlay)

> 4.8.3 but no overlay so it must be the distro version.
> Gentoo, ~amd64 also.

Another gentooer! =:^)

Yeah, they're getting faster at getting them out of the overlay.  But the
4.9 betas are coming up and will be overlay-only and I'll probably be
doing them, so...

Plus, I like being able to get my upgrade on release day, or even a few
hours before (kde had the tarballs for I think it was 4.6.2 up a few
hours before the public announcement, and of course gentoo/kde normally
has the ebuilds up in the overlay before the tarballs are publicly
available, so I had it actually built and installed by the time the
public announcement was made! =:^)

>> Upon adding it, only a few (four I think) of the 10 available temps
>> were showing, and those didn't have names.  Some reported temps, some
>> reported 0.
>
> I'm not running.
> /etc/init.d/lm-sensors because I don't use modules but maybe it needs
> sensors to run before KDE loads.

It depends on your hardware and its configuration.  Even with a
monolithic kernel (which I too use), sensors -s needs to be run once
after boot for anything that has "set" statements in the sensors config
files (/etc/sensors.d/* or failing that, /etc/sensors(3).conf).
Otherwise those "set" statements don't get initialized. See the sensors
(1) and sensors.conf (5) manpages.

But if your hardware doesn't have any set statements in the config file
that apply, and you're running with all the necessary modules builtin,
you can probably bypass the initscript.

Alternatively, if everything's builtin but you still need to run sensors
-s, you could just add a call to sensors -s to an appropriate *.start
file in /etc/local.d (and set the local service to run if it's not, of
course), initializing the set statements without the heavier full sensors
initscript.  Especially if you're already running the local service for
something else so don't have to add it just for that, this will be a much
lighter weight and probably faster alternative than the full initscript.

And as the sensors.conf manpage states, "Please note that set statements
are only executed by sensors(1) when you use the -s option. Typical
graphical sensors applications do not care about these statements at all."

But I'm not sure what loads the sensor labels, etc.  Does ksysguardd read
them directly, possibly only if sensors -s hasn't been run yet, or must
sensors -s be run to load them into, presumably the kernel and sysfs,
where ksysguardd can see them?

I don't know, but I'd try at least running sensors -s before starting kde,
and see if it can pick up the sensors after that.  I DO know that when I
changed the labels in my sensors config files (because I didn't like the
ones that were there, too long, and still not always descriptive), kde
picked it up, however it got the changes.

> I like Jidokhi but it has bugs.
> It only shows 3 of 6 cores for my CPU and it mixes my GPU fan with my
> case fans.
> It has hope. :-)
>
> Where did it put the source for the theme?

I wasn't familiar with what I thought was another sensors widget, jidokhi,
so I googled.  Google thought I meant jidoka, and I spent a few minutes
learning about autonomation, jidoka, poka-yoke, Toyoda's automatically
stopping loom, etc.  Interesting stuff!

Jidokhi, meanwhile, returns a bunch of lyrics, and jidokhi linux sensors
returns nothing.  Jidokhi sensors returns just three hits including an
ad, none of which look like what I'm after.  And esearch (which I
actually tried before google) didn't return a jidokhi package, either.
So I'm still left wondering what that's about.  But the hits on jidoka
did give me a very interesting different perspective on automation and
taught me the difference between it and autonomation, so it was a good
few minutes searching and learning, in any case! =:^)

But if you could point me at a URL or otherwise help me find what I still
presume is a sensors display widget of some sort, I'd appreciate it.
Surely, it's inspired by jidoka, which now that I know a bit about, makes
me even more eager to see what this display widget is all about, as well.
=:^)

Either that or I'm off on /totally/ the wrong track! =8^0