[kde-linux] hardware temperature widget

James bjlockie at lockie.ca
Mon May 21 19:57:05 UTC 2012

On 05/20/12 17:46, Duncan wrote:
> James posted on Sun, 20 May 2012 11:44:25 -0400 as excerpted:
>
>> My available temperatures/sensors is empty in the widget but the command
>> sensors shows temperatures.
>> The widget was written by Petri Damsten.
>
> Thanks, the author allowed me to confirm that I was trying the right
> one.  But you didn't post the version of kde you're using.  That could
> matter if there have been fixes...  FWIW, kde 4.8.3 here (on gentoo/
> ~amd64 with the kde overlay), the latest shipped by kde upstream, tho
> you're likely to be running something a bit older there if you're just
> running the distro version, for most distros.
4.8.3 but no overlay so it must be the distro version.
Gentoo, ~amd64 also.

> Upon adding it, only a few (four I think) of the 10 available temps were
> showing, and those didn't have names.  Some reported temps, some reported
> 0.

I'm not running.
/etc/init.d/lm-sensors because I don't use modules but maybe it needs sensors to run before KDE loads.

> The settings dialog shows the sensor path it's using.  You can check that
> against the CLI sensors command output.  FWIW, the plasmoid (plasma
> widget) simply gets (or should be getting, if it's not, something's
> wrong) the readings from the ksysguardd system-monitor daemon, the same
> one that you can browse by starting up ksysguard (probably listed as
> system monitor in the apps menu, but ksysguard entered in krunner is
> easier, once you know the name, and unlike system monitor, it's not so
> generic that it's unclear what we're actually talking about!).  So you
> can start that up, and see if ksysguard is getting the numbers, too.  I
> actually prefer the line-graph readout option in ksysguard, since that
> gives me a bit of history and trend-lines.
>

> Another option, similar but a bit more advanced, is superkaramba.  This
> is actually part of kde and depending on your distro, will have either
> been installed with kde, or should be available as an additional
> package.  The idea is similar to yasp-scripted but superkaramba started
> in the kde3 era, and its layout language is even more flexible/advanced
> than yasp-scripted.  That's what I eventually switched to and what I use
> now, but yasp-scripted was an easier first stepping-stone toward it,
> being a bit simpler.

I like Jidokhi but it has bugs.
It only shows 3 of 6 cores for my CPU and it mixes my GPU fan with my case fans.
It has hope. :-)

Where did it put the source for the theme?