[kde-linux] Konqueror and Dolphin using 100% CPU

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 03:34:05 UTC 2012

Alex Schuster wrote:
> Anne Wilson writes:
>
>> On 27/02/12 14:53, Dale wrote:
>
>>> Well, it appears that no matter the settings, it takes one core to
>>> 100% and does something.  I renamed the config file and it still
>>> does it. Maybe the next upgrade will have a fix.
>>>
>>> I know the differences but the point was that I don't have it set
>>> to be different or to remember the settings for each directory.  I
>>> also disabled previews all the way around.  It still does it.
>>>
>>> Maybe I should use another file manager other than KDE provided
>>> ones for a while.
>
>> I saw that you are using 4.8, but I didn't see the distro mentioned
>> (sorry if I missed it).  Just wondering whether it could be a distro
>> package error.
>
> He's using Gentoo, like me. I have some Dolphin problems myself, but they
> are different. And with 4.8, Dolphin finally has became usable for me.
>
> But I don't have Dale's problems. I see no  high CPU usage, and my preview
> settings are being respected. I also have Dolphin configured to use the
> same view for all folders.
>
> 	Wonko

Well here is a update.  I changed back to Konqueror since Dolpin was no
better and I prefer it anyway.  Naturally it still did it even after I
disabled previews everywhere I could find.  I thought I would take a
stab in the dark and see if a recompile would help.  I did a emerge -e
system which because of USE flags includes a good portion of KDE.  I
then went to single user mode, killed any left over processes that
should not be running and went back to default runlevel.  I have had
Konqueror open know for at least 24 hours after the recompile.  It has
not used any abnormal amounts of CPU time so far.

My suspicions, something got updated and a dependency did not and it
results in some weird behaviour.  This is not the first time over the
years I have ran into this.  Most likely others on this list had
whatever package was out of date update/recompiled for some reason and
it was not on mine.  Now after my rebuild, everything is back in sync
again.

So, not a bug exactly but odd at least.

Thanks.

Dale

P. S.  When I don't reply to a post, it could be I am trying something
mentioned in your post.  I read each reply and try whatever seems
reasonable at first then grasp at all straws as time goes by.  It's when
I run out of straws that I worry.  ;-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"