[kde-linux] Kde-runtime-4.8 Build issues

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 21 21:11:58 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 02:24 PM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:46:43 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> I recently upgraded my GLibc to 2.15 and as a result, my KDE-Runtime
>> module will no longer build.  The cause appears to be changes to the
>> "rpc.h" header.  It appears to build fine against older headers.
>>
>> BLFS has posted a small patch [attached]:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/kde4/kde4runtime.html
>>
>> to make it build with current headers, which I would suggest be
>> committed to the GIT repository.
>
> FWIW, glibc-2.15 (gentoo -r2) here, and I've built both kde 4.9 betas
> against it.  I haven't checked patches yet but I doubt gentoo/kde patched
> the beta builds, tho gentoo/tool-chain has obviously patched glibc a bit,
> thus the -r2.  But having not checked those patches I'm not sure they're
> relevant here anyway.
>
> The point being, at least the 4.9 betas are building against glibc-2.15
> here, so a patch has been applied somewhere.  I don't know what version
> of kde-runtime you're attempting to build, but it does seem likely
> they've already patched master/HEAD.  But perhaps not 4.8-branch.
>
> If you'd like me to do more than report that it's working here, I can
> investigate further, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile ATM.  Ask if you
> need it (tho my schedule's not well settled for the next month and I'm
> having hardware issues so I may or may not get back to you)...

So, we have a mystery to solve.

First note that the patch changes one line and adds one line immediately
before it:

-target_link_libraries(kio_nfs   ${KDE4_KIO_LIBS})
+include_directories(/usr/include/tirpc)
+target_link_libraries(kio_nfs   ${KDE4_KIO_LIBS} tirpc)

to the file:

kioslave/nfs/CMakeLists.txt

so it should be easy to check to see if Gentoo added this patch.

If not, and since the GIT and the tarballs do not have this change, this
is somewhat of a mystery.

I presume that Gentoo installs: "libtiprc" (Fedora does).  You might
want to check that and if it is patched.  BLFS has a patch for that:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/libtirpc.html

bit I think that it only changes NIS.

Although, IIRC, GLibC no longer contains RPC, it still installs:

/usr/include/rpc/rpc.h

and that is the header that an unpatched: "kde-runtime" module finds
rather than:

/usr/include/tirpc/rpc/rpc.h

If the unpatched: "kde-runtime" module builds correctly, it would have
to mean that either GLibC or LibTiRPC has been patched or possibly GLibC
has used an additional configuration parameter.  I installed with:

--prefix=/usr --disable-profile --enable-add-ons --enable-kernel=2.6.25
--libexecdir=/usr/lib/glibc

Does Gentoo add anything?

--
James Tyrer