[kde-linux] KDEMultimedia move to GIT; ZQM for the 4.8 branch

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Jun 3 12:34:49 UTC 2012

On Sunday, 2012-06-03, James Tyrer wrote:

> I find that when I 'checkout':
>
>      origin/KDE/4.8
>
> for these modules that:
>
> juk
> kmix
> dragon
>
> will build.  But, the rest fail when running CMake.  After some
> investigation, I find that the problem is that the CMake files have not
> been changed.  This means that they still need the CMake files that are
> in the base directory of KDEMultimedia as it was in SVN.
>
> It has been this way for several weeks.  Looking in from the outside, it
> looks very odd that a developer hasn't found this.

Looks like the transition is not completed properly yet.
Does it work for master? I.e. do you recon it is more a matter of backporting
patches or of missing adjustments due to the changes?

> But, it is my
> understanding that developers do not build a copy of the current release
> branch -- not even the section that they are working on.

Very unlikely. There is no way one could backport a patch if one cannot verify
that it at least builds. Some teams additionally deploy a continuous
integration system to build development and stable branch and run automated
tests.

In this case the application developers are most likely waiting for the people
doing the SVN to GIT migration to have completed their work.

Should I make an inquiry on their development list?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring