[kde-linux] KDEMultimedia move to GIT; ZQM for the 4.8 branch

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 3 03:09:56 UTC 2012

I note that the source repository for KDEMultimedia has been moved to
GIT.  In doing this, it was split into several pieces:

dragon
ffmpegthumbs
juk
kmix
kscd
libkcddb
libkcompactdisc

mplayerthumbs

strigi-multimedia

In another example of the total lack of Quality Management (not Total,
but rather Zero), I find that when I 'checkout':

     origin/KDE/4.8

for these modules that:

juk
kmix
dragon

will build.  But, the rest fail when running CMake.  After some
investigation, I find that the problem is that the CMake files have not
been changed.  This means that they still need the CMake files that are
in the base directory of KDEMultimedia as it was in SVN.

It has been this way for several weeks.  Looking in from the outside, it
looks very odd that a developer hasn't found this.  But, it is my
understanding that developers do not build a copy of the current release
branch -- not even the section that they are working on.  This is very
sad since it is indicative of the total lack of quality control at KDE.
  If nobody tries the product, how can there be any quality control, TQM
or not.

IAC, I find that if I use the needed files from the tarball of the
current release that I can reconstruct the base directory and build from
there.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch