[kde-linux] Konqueror KDE-4.8 BRANCH

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 22:52:44 UTC 2012

Anne Wilson posted on Sat, 14 Jan 2012 16:35:44 +0000 as excerpted:

> On 11/01/12 09:34, Duncan wrote:
>> You don't use a different file manager depending on what you want to
>> do,
>> you use the default dumbed-down dolphin if you're the type who can't
>> figure out shell wildcards let alone regular expressions and presumably
>> can't figure out how to change the default file manager either,
>> otherwise you use an intelligent file manager that lets you do what you
>> want, whether that's always the same thing with the same file manager,
>> or different things with different managers depending on the task at
>> hand.
>
> Far from being dumbed down, for a while I was using Dolphin in KDE 4 and
> Konqueror (3.5) in CentOS 5 and kept being utterly frustrated that
> Konqueror was so much less able as a file manager.  If filtering by
> extension is what you need, you do it in much the same way as you would
> in Windows - use the Details view, ensure that Type is one of the
> details shown, and select that column - simple! :-)

Thanks for bringing that back up.  Hours after posting that I decided I
had probably worded it rather more strongly than I would have in
hindsight, but didn't know how to properly address the issue without more
or less making the problem worse.  That you brought it back up now allows
me to reply and get that in the record, without being so awkward. =:^)

Dolphin has its own power (the chance observation of which, right after
that strongly worded criticism, triggered my second thoughts on it), and
is a very reasonable file manager for those afraid of messing with
configurations, but it's also a fine tool for those power users who keep
a larger toolbox and thus can choose the tool that best meets their
current needs.  It doesn't do everything well, but then again, I'd not
expect the finest screwdrivers to be all that great as hammers... or pry-
bars for that matter... tho I know I'm not the only one who has used them
for both, at times!  =:^)