[kde-linux] Konqueror KDE-4.8 BRANCH

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jan 13 21:39:16 UTC 2012

James Tyrer posted on Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:06:59 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 01/10/2012 08:39 PM, James Tyrer wrote:
>
>> I also note that the KDE throbber is back although it is on the
>> Location Toolbar (putting it on the didn't seem to work with Qt.
>
> That would be putting it on the MenuBar that didn't work.  Qt seemed to
> fight against it.

Ahh... Rather clearer now. =:^)

And yes, I had similar problems related to the throbber.  I moved it to
the location bar myself some time ago as a result.  But ultimately there
were much larger issues with konqueror as a web browser, at least two of
which well demonstrated that the involved kde devs themselves consider it
no more than a toy, unfit for "real" web browser use such as doing web
banking, and I ended up solving them all for me personally, by switching
to firefox instead.

Other than being more reliable and better supported by web sites, etc,
there were two major results to that switch, one positive, one negative:

Positive: Both firefox and konqueror have extension support, but
konqueror's userbase is simply too small to have developed a viable user
extension community.  Firefox's is **MUCH** larger, and in addition to
the previously mentioned konqueror bugs, a BIG factor in my switch was
actively developed and supported extensions such as noscript.  I realized
that there's simply no way konqueror could keep up with even that single
extension let alone all the others, because they don't have the kde
developer manpower to do it themselves, and they haven't developed a
viable external extensions community as firefox has, in ordered to have
an external entity provide and continue to support and develop the
extension.  FWIW, that's one of the reasons I picked firefox over
chromium as well.  Chromium's user base has arguably surpassed firefox's
according to various statistics, and yes, there's an active user
extension development community, but while it will very likely get there
within a few years, the maturity and variety of available extensions at
this point means firefox still has the lead in that regard.  Another
chromium negative for those of us with strong personal emphasis on
freedom of freedomware is that the majority of the focus is on the
servantware/proprietaryware chrome browser, and that's likely to create
problems with extension support for users of its chromium freedomware
brother.  While firefox has a bit of that problem in terms of its MS vs
*ix support, unlike chrome/chromium, from the viewpoint of the extensions
developer, there's only the one firefox browser and it's freedomware.

Negative: I still prefer kde's integrated bookmarks and use them in
preference to firefox's builtin bookmarks.  While kde's bookmarks now
open in firefox so that's not an issue, creating a new kde bookmark for a
page I'm currently visiting in firefox is significantly more difficult
than creating the same kde bookmark from the same page visited in kde's
konqueror.  But talking about extensions... I wonder if there's a firefox
extension to fix that...  If not, perhaps I'll have to get even more
deeply involved in firefox extensions and see about creating one...