[kde-linux] sourceforge vs. Konqueror

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 02:53:18 UTC 2012

On 01/07/2012 06:32 AM, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Sat, 07 Jan 2012 03:22:03 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> I find that Konqueror 4.7.95 will not download from SourceForge. Despite
>> that fact the the box:
>>
>> Ask whether to save to disk instead ()
>>
>> is checked for the mime type, the file if first opened in the Ark Part.
>
> In my experience, that's often due to overlapping mimetype defs; there's
> probably more than one mimetype that applies (perhaps an earlier x-
> mimetype that has now been formalized and thus doesn't have the x-prefix
> any longer), and konqueror happens to be applying the rules for the other
> one first.

I forgot to explicitly mention that it was working correctly in KDE-4.7.

However, that is a good idea and I looked through the relevant MIME
types and they all had the box checked.

> What makes this a bit more difficult to deal with is the way mimetype
> handling is done, with additional apps marking the mimetypes they handle,
> and often bringing in both legacy and current mimetype definitions just
> in case.

I do have redundant MIME types for such file types (e.g. tar.gz).
However, they are all configured the same.

> That said, if ark is opening it, it's almost certainly doing so by
> downloading to some temporary location and then opening that.  As long as
> you keep the arkpart display open, it should keep the tempfile around (if
> you close ark, it will likely delete the tempfile), and you should be
> able to check your tempdirs and caches, etc, and find it.

Yes, it can be saved, the only problem is that you have to wait for it
to download _before_ it can be saved; which can take a while.

> Note that one way to do this is to make use of the /proc filesystem,
> which will have a subdir for each active app and within that subdir, a
> file for each open filehandle of that app.  So you can use top or the kde
> process list to get the PID of the konqueror process, then look in that
> procfs entry to check its open files and find the location of the open
> tarball file that way.

Not really necessary as: "File -> Save As" works after the file has been
downloaded to a temporary location.

IAC, I went through the MIME types again and it still doesn't work the
way that SourceForge is supposed to work.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch