[kde-linux] sourceforge vs. Konqueror

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jan 7 13:32:09 UTC 2012

James Tyrer posted on Sat, 07 Jan 2012 03:22:03 -0700 as excerpted:

> I find that Konqueror 4.7.95 will not download from SourceForge. Despite
> that fact the the box:
>
> Ask whether to save to disk instead ()
>
> is checked for the mime type, the file if first opened in the Ark Part.

In my experience, that's often due to overlapping mimetype defs; there's
probably more than one mimetype that applies (perhaps an earlier x-
mimetype that has now been formalized and thus doesn't have the x-prefix
any longer), and konqueror happens to be applying the rules for the other
one first.

What makes this a bit more difficult to deal with is the way mimetype
handling is done, with additional apps marking the mimetypes they handle,
and often bringing in both legacy and current mimetype definitions just
in case.

That said, if ark is opening it, it's almost certainly doing so by
downloading to some temporary location and then opening that.  As long as
you keep the arkpart display open, it should keep the tempfile around (if
you close ark, it will likely delete the tempfile), and you should be
able to check your tempdirs and caches, etc, and find it.

Note that one way to do this is to make use of the /proc filesystem,
which will have a subdir for each active app and within that subdir, a
file for each open filehandle of that app.  So you can use top or the kde
process list to get the PID of the konqueror process, then look in that
procfs entry to check its open files and find the location of the open
tarball file that way.