[kde-linux] 'Fetch Error' on exit

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:08:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht posted on Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:46:27 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> After updating to KDE-4.7.4 one of my machines, when exiting KDE at the
>> end of the day during a shutdown, so KDE is gone but X hasn't shut off
>> yet, I'm now seeing a black background with a dialog window that just
>> says :
>>
>> 'Unknown error'
>>
>> The title on the dialog box says only 'Fetch job error', or at least
>> that's my guess. The box is not resizable and I cannot see anything to
>> the right off 'err..'
>>
>> From Googling around it seems to be a moderately common problem.
>> Generally people seem to think it points at akonadi which I guess is
>> some sort of database or something like that. Some folks suggest
>> deleting old stuff that uses the database will fix it but knowing what
>> that things those might be eludes me at this time.
>>
>> It's interesting to me that this error does not occur if I just start
>> KDE and immediately exit so apparently it has to do with things KDE does
>> as the day progresses.
>>
>> 1) Is anyone else seeing this?
>>
>> 2) What sort of things do I need to clean up to get rid of this error?
>>
>> 3) Is there some place where KDE logs messages about what it does all
>> day long?
>>
>> The machine is Gentoo based, mostly stable, and has run KDE for a couple
>> of years since it was built.
>
> Gentooer here, too! =:^)  But I'm running a generally ~amd64 system with
> the gentoo/kde overlay and currently the latest kde release, 4.8.0.
> FWIW, I also ran the 4.8 prereleases, betas 1 and 2 and rcs 1 and 2
> (versions 4.7.80, 4.7.90, 4.7.95 and 4.7.98, IIRC).  Similarly, I'm
> running a direct Linus upstream git kernel, currently 3.3.0-rc2-172-
> g23703f8, gcc-4.6.2, binutils-2.22.52.0.1, portage-2.2.0_alpha85,
> grub-1.99, live-git openrc-9999 updated every few days, etc, all of which
> are either package.keyworded ** or package.unmasked in ordered to merge
> them.  So I'm definitely running somewhat ahead of many of your packages,
> including kde.
>
> FWIW, I got fed up with akonadi, however, and unmerged all of kdepim in
> ordered to be able to unmerge it.  With it unmerged, I was able to set
> USE=-semantic-desktop, etc, so I have all that turnakonadied off as
> well.  You'd be AMAZED at how much faster kde runs now!  I know I was --
> it was like an MSWormOS user finding out how much either the malware or
> the malware scanners had been slowing him down or like getting a free
> half-gigahertz or another couple cores CPU upgrade!  I was /reasonably/
> happy with kde4 before, but now I'm MUCH happier with it! =:^)
>
> However, kmail, akregator, korganizer, knode, kaddressbook, etc, are part
> of kdepim and thus pull in akonadi, so if you use any of them you'll have
> to switch to something else if you decide to go the no-akonadi and
> possibly no-semantic-desktop route, as I did.  FWIW, I ran kmail and
> [...]

Duncan,
   Thanks. It's an interesting story.

   In my case I'm not looking to maintain my own version of KDE here.
I just wanted to know if anyone had seen this problem and what the
solution to fix it was.

   I started going through equery depends ... command looking for what
depends on what and at this point I'd likely be better off to just
create a new user account, see if that account has the problem, and if
it doesn't then just use that. On the other hand I haven't read all
the responses yet so I'm still hopeful someone knows the real
solution.

Thanks again,
Mark