[kde-linux] dolphin kde 4.9 how to get rid of online rename

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 8 09:14:59 UTC 2012

Kevin Krammer posted on Tue, 07 Aug 2012 16:36:12 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Tuesday, 2012-08-07, yahoo-pier_andreit wrote:
>> On 07/08/12 14:00, Duncan wrote:
>> > yahoo-pier_andreit posted on Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:48:59 +0200 as
>> > excerpted:
>> >
>> > While I ran all four 4.9 prereleases and now have 4.9.0 installed, I
>> > don't use dolphin enough to even really know the difference between
>> > its old way and the traditional inline rename.  Neither do I see a
>> > way to get
>>
>> the difference are that now you edit the new name directly on the name
>> showed in dolphin window, before a dedicated window was opened to do
>> this, I use dolphin expecially for the filter facility, it's
>> fantastic:-))
>
> I am not sure but I read that 4.9 restores the renaming how it was
> before 4.8 and that only 4.8 had a dialog because the newly introduced
> Dolphin view engine couldn't do inline renaming yet.
>
> Tons of people complained about that change ;)

FWIW, I read that as well.  ... And now we're seeing a complaint from
going back to inline renaming.  <shrug>  I guess as they say, can't
please everybody all the time.

It'd be nice to have that as an option, but at least originally, I
believe dolphin was supposed to be a "simpler" file manager that "just
worked", without all the "extra" config options of konqueror, etc.  So
it'd probably end up an option in konqueror, with dolphin either
continuing to be hard-coded or honoring the konqueror option, but with no
visible way to set it in/for dolphin.  (AFAIK that's the way the "keep a
konqueror instance preloaded" functionality works currently.  Setting it
for konqueror also effectively sets it for dolphin, but there's nothing
anywhere that actually documents that, it just works that way.)