[kde-linux] KDE resetting microphone setting upon login

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 30 00:46:28 UTC 2012

Mark Knecht posted on Sun, 29 Apr 2012 07:06:25 -0700 as excerpted:

> The newest stable KDE (4.8.1) on Gentoo is causing me problems with my
> microphone levels. It seems that each time I log in KDE sets the 3
> faders required for me to get microphone audio (called Front Mic Boost,
> Capture and Digital in the mixer) back to 0. Each time I log in, if I
> need to use the microphone, then I have to set these up again.
>
> This problem is new since 4.8.1. With the previous 4.7 version and all
> version before it I never had this problem.
>
> I know it's KDE on login:
>
> 1) If I log out of KDE and look in alsamixer in the console then the
> settings are correct.
>
> 2) If the settings are correct when I shutdown then when  reboot I can
> look in alsamixer before starting KDE and the levels are fine.
>
> 3) When the levels are fine in the console and I log into KDE the levels
> are set back to zeros.
>
> 4) With the levels set back to zeros in KDE if I then shell to the
> console the levels are all zeros. (No surprise there)
>
> Does anyone know of a fix for this frustrating little problem?

Check in kmix.

FWIW here, I don't actually have kmix installed on my main machine.  All
output there is via SPDIF to external amp @ digital line-level, so all
system audio gives me is essentially mute/no-mute anyway.  So I use
individual app and external amp volume levels only, and just set alsa to
turn on the SPDIF at boot and leave it.

I do have kmix on the netbook, but I don't update it regularly, and I
think it's still back on kde 4.6.0 or some such.

But I believe kmix is considered a kde system component now, so will
automatically start with kde and set its remembered volumes when it does
so.  Depending on your config, it may or may not show up in the systray,
but even if it doesn't, I believe if you have the option set to restore
volumes at login, it'll do that and then quit, instead of staying in the
systray.

So if I'm correct, you should be able to fix it one of two ways.  Either
uncheck the option to restore volumes at login (probably what you want
based on your post), or leave that checked, but set the volumes with kmix
to what you want, so it remembers those, instead of all zero-levels.

There may also be interactions with phonon and the backend you've chosen
(phonon-gstreamer is the kde and gentoo default, phonon-vlc is what I use
as I don't have gstreamer installed at all, here, phonon-xine is masked
and in the process of removal, switch to something else if you're still
using it, I've NO idea how pulseaudio plays into it as I won't touch it
with a 10 foot bargepole!), so you can try experimenting a bit there too,
but that gets too complicated to describe pretty fast and I suspect it's
a kmix restore-settings problem anyway, so definitely investigate kmix,
first.