[kde-linux] Problems with konsole.

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Sep 15 17:50:37 UTC 2011

Duncan writes:

> Alex Schuster posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2011 01:49:47 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > George R Goffe writes:
> >
> >> I'm trying to specify the geometry and some other settings for
> >> konsole and am getting a REALLY small widget and some error messages
> >> that I don't understand. Could someone show me the error of my ways
> >> or point me to where I can find out what I'm doing wrong please?
> >
> > The geometry is given in pixels, not in characters. So you get a
> > Konsole of 155x69 pixels in in size.
> >
> >> konsole --nofork -fg $FG -bg $BG -fn $FOTD --geometry
> >> 0155x0016+0069+0610
> >   ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Try increasing these.
>
> Correct, except that he's telling it 155x16 px size (with the top-left
> corner at 69 pixels from the left edge, 610 from the top).

Yeah, I made a typo there.

> FWIW, run konsole --help-all in a konsole window, to get the help for
> that option, under kde options:
>
> --geometry <geometry>     sets the client geometry of the main widget -
> see man X for the argument format (usually WidthxHeight+XPos+YPos)
>
> Geometry is an X window property, in pixels, that kde simply happens to
> expose, thus the reference to the X manpage.

Which tells that it may also be characters:

       One of the advantages of using window systems instead of hardwired
       terminals is that applications don't have to be restricted to a
       particular size  or  location  on the screen.  Although the layout
       of windows on a display is controlled by the window manager that
       the  user  is  running (described  below),  most  X programs
       accept a command line argument of the form -geometry
       WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF (where WIDTH,  HEIGHT,  XOFF, and  YOFF are
       numbers) for specifying a preferred size and location for this
       application's main window.

       The WIDTH and HEIGHT parts of the geometry  specification  are
       usually measured  in either pixels or characters, depending on the
       application. The XOFF and YOFF parts are measured in pixels and
       are used to  specify the  distance  of  the window from the left
       or right and top and bottom edges of the screen, respectively.
       Both types of offsets are  measured from  the indicated edge of
       the screen to the corresponding edge of the window.  The X offset
       may be specified in the following ways:

Other terminals like xterm, or the NEdit editor, use characters as unit,
which makes more sense to me. Maybe the problem with Konsole is that it
can use proportional fonts without a fixed size, so it would not be clear
how big a character is.

	Wonko