[kde-linux] Making fonts available to Konsole 3.5.10

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 22 17:38:29 UTC 2011

On 2011/10/22 07:19 (GMT-1000) David J Iannucci composed:

> So.... I'm still running a KDE 3.5 system on Gentoo, using Konsole
> 1.6.6 for KDE 3.5.10, and trying to use some new TTF fonts I installed
> in Konsole.

> I've always been mystified about how fonts work in Linux, but I've
> learned by googling that you can install TTFs by just putting the font
> files in a directory ~/.fonts. When I do that, the fonts are recognized
> by OpenOffice (e.g.).  But when I open the Select Font dialog for
> Konsole, they don't appear. In fact many of the fonts that appear in OOo
> are not included.

> Does anyone know the reason why? Does it have something to do with
> Konsole (at least the old version I'm using) not being capable of using
> TTF fonts at all?

I don't think anyone can make Konsole use proportionally spaced fonts. If you
check the names listed in your Konsole's font chooser, I think you'll find
all are monospaced. My Konsoles all use TTF fonts, usually Droid Sans Mono.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/