[kde-linux] OT: DSL, etc (Was Non-functional KDE 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Nov 24 00:52:08 UTC 2011

FrankK posted on Wed, 23 Nov 2011 07:40:35 -0800 as excerpted:

> Right now I'm in Northern Wisconsin where DSL only reaches the five
> wire-miles from the switch. Switches are too expensive for the rural
> population density here.

FWIW, I've had DSL twice, before the cable internet I have now.  The
first was telco DSL, USWest (which still serves Phoenix as Century-Link
or some such, after being Qwest for some years, and which you may be
familiar with from Oregon as well), back when they first came out with
it.  That was the old CAP-based DSL, with Netspeed modems, before Cisco
bought them out.

Then I moved less than a mile and while telco DSL was /supposed/ to be
available at the new location as well... let's just say that I gained a
new understanding of the nickname "USWorst", (later, "QWorst"), after
screwups with the /voice/ line, let alone the DSL.

So I ended up with Speakeasy DSL, a three-company variant with Speakeasy
(then a highly rated DSL ISP based in Seattle, but the highly rated
unfortunately didn't last, and they were eventually bought out by Best
Buy, aka Worst Buy, tho after I left) as the ISP, Covad as the DSLP, and
of course US/Qwest as the physical link provider.

During that period my connection was backhauled from Phoenix, to
Speakeasy's HQ back in Seattle, so your tail of long-distance key-holing
to the Northwest rings some bells. =:^\  It was also during that period,
right about the turn of the century, that I ultimately switched to Linux,
helped in part by the incredible group of folks on the speakeasy
newsgroup.  (Two comments on that.  The group really was incredible; the
ISP offered shell accounts and was very Unix/Linux friendly, so attracted
many *ix users, upto and including one guy who had commit rights on one
of the BSDs, which I didn't know enough about at the time to keep
straight which one it was.  It's really too bad the ISP got big and
corporatized and lost its good service and rep, as it really WAS
excellent, back then.  Second, when I switched to Linux late in 2001,
choosing that upgrade instead of eXPrivacy, I tried the various desktops
and chose KDE, then kde 2.x.  So I've been with KDE basically a decade,
now.  Gotta return to topic at least a /bit/. =:^)

But based on my Qworst experience and the fact that the speakeasy
experience was really going downhill and many of the good people had left
by the time I did, when Cox finally got cable internet service to this
area, I jumped to it within a few months.  (I was basically in the middle
of my transition to Linux when Cox arrived, with my hands full there, so
I waited about eight months until I was comfortable on Linux before
tackling the ISP and connectivity switch.)

Meanwhile, being a DSL early adopter and spending some time on the
comp.dcom.xdsl newsgroup as well, I actually know a reasonable bit about
DSL, and that five-mile-limit is familiar indeed.  With changes in
technology, a lot of telcos rolled out remote mini-COs the size of a
small shed or even a phone booth (how much longer will the phone booth
allusion be effective, now that they're almost all gone?), which can
often house "mini-dslams" and thus get DSL to people who are otherwise
too far from the main CO, but at least in the early days of DSL those
were a definite mixed-blessing, both because many of the early ones were
DSL incompatible (analog backhauls to the main CO, the same thing that
nixed 56kbps dialup for many), and because unlike the big COs, the remote-
COs simply didn't have room for third-party equipment, so it was telco DSL
or nothing, and if the telco acted like mine did when I moved, well...

So, um, yeah, I know a bit about both DSL and cable internet, and that
post about checking the alternatives, because many dialup users simply
haven't, is far from my first... I've been making similar posts for a
decade or so... =:^]  And unfortunately, your mention of the 5-mile-limit
is something I'm reasonably familiar with myself, tho fortunately, not
thru personal experience as much as thru my time on the various DSL
newsgroups, etc.  (FWIW, I could fill a whole series of posts discussing
stuff like ISDL, 140kbps "DSL" over ISDN, wire-guage effect on measured
wire-miles, analog vs digital remote-COs, dry-loop vs piggybacked, CAP vs
DMT, ADSL vs SDSL vs ?DSL, the DSL bane of load coils, and various other
DSL-related technical discussion, too, but...)

> Having written that, my address now requires some explanation. My home
> is about ten miles from the Pacific in northwest Oregon. Since that is
> my registered kde-linux address, I'm having to use my Oregon ISPs
> webmail to post on this list.

Oregonian! =:^)  My roots are in the northwest too, as is most of my
"upstream" family, uncles and aunts, cousins, my grandparents until they
died, etc.  FWIW I moved to Phoenix from Roseburg, OR, and still think
about it when I go to the home improvement stores and see Roseburg
Lumber...  I have family in Eugene area, lived in Newburg for a time
(short time, but twice), was born in Tri-Cities WA area, and lived in NE
Washington above Spokane for a couple years too.

> You guys can probably picture what it's like to deal with two "keyholes"
> in series - the local dial-up line and a webmail ISP 2K miles away!

Of course I mentioned Speakeasy and the DSL backhaul to Seattle I had for
a time, tho it's a bit different since that was at layer-3 ATM, under the
IP level.

> Last spring DSL did come to my Oregon home, but I'm on the end of the
> line. All I get there is 256K bits/second, but that's a near infinity
> speed factor over dial-up.

I know the feeling.  FWIW, my speakeasy time was at 608kbps, but as I
said, many people had to live with IDSL/ISDL, DSL over ISDN, 140 kbps as
the bonded total of the two 64-kbps data channels and the 16-kbps control
channel.  But even that's a huge step up from, if one is lucky, 48 kbps
dialup, actually more due to the always-on dedicated connection bit as
much as the 2-3X upgrade in speed.

> The snail-mail DVDs have been working well for me. Usually any updates I
> do from Wisconsin are "overnighters". I have two boxes here to update,
> so I make use of the "keep packages" option.
>
> My 12.1 DVD should be here in a few days. I'll report back on how the
> kde 4.7 display works out. Frank K

I really hope it works for you.  They've certainly improved the situation
in 4.7 compared to 4.6 and previous, but that's not the same as saying
they've got everything worked out, by far.  But it's certainly a better
chance at graphics "just working" in 4.7 than in previous versions, due
to the new effects-off-by-default default, so there's quite a good chance
that it will, particularly since you already know that Linux and X in
general works on the boxes, just not kde, at present.

And while DVDs thru snail-mail may feel like IP-over-avian-carrier, it
works, and if that's what it takes for the bandwidth required and
receiving location, can't argue with works!

(IP-over-avian-carrier: See RFCs 1149, 2549 and 6214, along with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers , where I just looked
up the RFC numbers.)